This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Spaghetti with Roasted Cherry Tomato Sauce & Basil
This recipe is from Canadian Living (I don’t remember which magazine volume or number – sorry) and it is absolutely to-die-for.  One time when I was so set on satisfying the craving I had for it, I added crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to make it a soup… then ate it as such (blushing).  What can I say? I’m a dedicated fan of it.  It’s pretty easy to make but requires a 13×19 inch GLASS baking dish.  You can use a pot but the tomatoes just don’t turn out the same.  Sometimes when my mom makes this recipe she makes (in a separate cooking unit) garlic butter shrimp and uses 3-5 of them as decoration.
I also used this as a sauce for grilled salmon.  I was trying to use up leftovers so marinated some salmon fillets in a little olive oil, minced garlic, and fresh chopped basil.  Left it in the fridge for about an hour then grilled it.  To serve, I put the salmon on a bed of fresh baby spinach leaves then drizzled (rather generously) the sauce over the salad.  It was deeeelish and as I’m sure you can assume, a much healthier alternative.
12 oz spaghetti
¼ cup thinly sliced fresh basil
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
¼ cup sliced or chopped kalamata olives
4 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
4 cloves garlic, sliced
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp rosemary
½ tsp salt
Pinch of hot pepper flakes

In a 13x 19 inch glass baking dish, toss together the tomatoes, garlic, oil, vinegar, rosemary, salt and hot pepper flakes.  Roast in 400 degree F oven until shriveled, approximately 25 minutes.  Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until al dente.  Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. 

Toss with sauce and basil to coat.  Sprinkle with cheese and olives to serve.

Clare Walton is a third year Sociology, Social Justice, and Journalism student at the University of Victoria. Growing up in Canada, India, Guyana, and Indonesia she has seen the world. Her exposure to different cultures and practices has made her keen to hear people’s stories. Clare has been a news editor and reporter for various high school and university papers.