UVic’s Bachelor: Juan Pablo Messick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

You may remember Juan Pablo from the eighteenth season of The Bachelor, but did you realize that we have our very own Juan Pablo right here on campus? And it’s not just the name that they have in common. Like Juan Pablo from the bachelor, UVic’s Juan Pablo Messick is from Latin America, has worked in the nightclub scene, and plays soccer.

I compared my interview with UVic’s Juan Pablo to an interview that The Bachelor’s Juan Pablo did with US Magazine to see just how similar they really are. 

YEAR: First

MAJOR: Biology

HOMETOWN: Peurto Vallarta, Mexico

RELATIONSHIP STATUS: Single… I think.

HC: Can you sing?

UVic’s JP: No, not at all. My voice is not meant for singing.

The Bachelor’s JP: I’m a terrible singer.

HC: Do you like scary movies?

UVic’s JP: Yeah! I love them!

The Bachelor’s JP: I get tense during scary movies.

HC: What is your favorite thing to put Nutella on?

UVic’s JP: Bread and churros.

The Bachelor’s JP: I love Nutella and tequeños – Venezuela’s version of cheese sticks!

HC: What is your favorite beach?

UVic’s JP: Sayulita Surf beach in Puerto Vallarta.

The Bachelor’s JP: My favorite beach is Los Roques in Venezuela

HC: How old were you when you learned how to drive?

UVic’s JP: I was 11 years old.

The Bachelor’s JP: I learned how to drive at age 10.

HC: Do you drink coffee?

UVic’s JP: YES. At least twice a day.

The Bachelor’s JP: I don’t like coffee.

HC: What is your favorite sport?

UVic’s JP: Soccer, of course!

The Bachelor’s JP: My best [memories are of] playing in soccer tournaments as a kid.

HC: Have you ever seen The Bachelor?

UVic’s JP: No, I have not. Is it good?

HC: Would you ever be a contestant on a show like The Bachelor or The Bachelorette?

UVic’s JP: Yeah, why not?!

PRETTY SIMILAR, HEY?! Although UVic’s Juan Pablo plans to continue on to medical school after completing his degree in biology, perhaps we will see him on The Bachelor one day as well!

You can read the US Magazine interview with Juan Pablo Galavis here!

Jess is from Calgary, Alberta, but studies English literature and business at UVic. After her degree, she hopes to pursue a career in the Entertainment Industry. Some of her favourite things are Wes Anderson films, cute coffee mugs and costume parties. When she's not studying or writing for HC, she is usually watching movies, playing soccer or exploring Victoria! 
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.