The Year of the Sequel: 2024 Movie Sequels to Look Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

What could be better–or possibly worse– than a sequel to one of your favourite films? When browsing for movies with upcoming releases in the new year, I quickly discovered that 2024 will be the year of the sequel. So with many coming up, I’ve compiled a list of some I’m most excited about.

Beetlejuice 2

Beetlejuice 2 is one of the movies I’m most impatient to see this year. Currently, it’s set to come out on September 6, 2024

I fear it won’t live up to the magic of the 1988 horror-comedy, though I remain hopeful for the success of this sequel due to the return of director, Tim Burton, and members of the original cast. With actors, Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz, Catherine O’Hara as Delia Deetz, and Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice, playing their iconic characters once again. 

As far as new characters, Jenna Ortega is set to be one of the leads of this new film, playing Astrid Deetz, the daughter of Lydia Deetz. I think she’ll thrive in this role, due to both her experience in the horror genre, and her previous work with director Tim Burton on the TV series Wednesday.

Deadpool 3

Is Deadpool 3 going to be the introduction of Taylor Swift’s Marvel character, Dazzler? Deadpool 3 is the newest movie in the Deadpool series based on the Marvel comics (with the same name). The film is expected to come out in July 2024, starring comedic heartthrob Ryan Reynolds as the action anti-hero Deadpool (Wade Wilson). This movie will have a Marvel crossover, starring Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Tom Hiddleston as Loki as well. 

In 2023, there was much speculation that Taylor Swift would be featured in this film. She was expected to appear as the Marvel singing superhero Dazzler, due to being spotted on outings with Reynolds, Jackman, and director Shawn Levy. Though I doubt there is much merit to these claims due to the lack of promotion and her not appearing on the cast list, I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a Swift cameo.

Joker: Folie à Deux

Joker (2018) is now receiving a sequel due to its major success, winning many awards and fascinating fans. Joker: Folie à Deux will be the newest excerpt in a series, originally meant to be a standalone film. The new movie stars Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker once again, and Lady Gaga as his partner in crime Harley Quinn, how could you not be excited? 

The sequel is expected to reach theatres on October 4th, 2024; late in the year to match the release of the original and hopefully the success of the original as well.

Inside Out 2

Brand new emotions are on the way in the upcoming sequel to the Disney Pixar classic Inside Out. As someone who was a childhood fan of the original, I will definitely be in the theatre when it is released on June 14, 2024. Most of the original voice cast is returning eight years later for this surprising sequel, with some exciting additions including actor, Maya Hawke. 

The trailer, released November 9, 2023, generated some prominent social media buzz; becoming “the biggest animated trailer launch in Disney history.” Dethroning the Frozen 2 trailer by generating 157 million views in just 24 hours. It makes me happy to see such renewed excitement for a great family film.

Other upcoming sequels including Dune: Part Two, Gladiator 2, Despicable Me 4, Kung Fu Panda 4, and even more, 2024 will be jam-packed with further additions to the stories we know and love.

Jess Bayda

U Vic '26

Jess is currently a second-year pre-social work student at the University of Victoria. She has been with UVic's Her Campus chapter since 2023, and participates in both writing and editing. Jess is quite an active member as she loves procrastinating her university assignments by writing Her Campus articles. In her free time she also enjoys drawing, watching movies, and exploring downtown Victoria.