Pickle
Pickle
Christin Urso / Spoon
Life > Experiences

The Pickle Sisters: UVic’s most “elusive” club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

As a new school year is officially in swing, many students attended UVic’s Clubs and Course Unions (CCU) days during the second week of classes to discover the different extracurricular activities UVic has to offer. While there are over 150 clubs, many of which were on display at CCU days, one in particular has caught the attention of many students: The UVic Pickle Sisters.

The UVic Pickle Sisters (commonly referred to just as Pickle Sisters) first emerged on Instagram in September 2022 advertising itself as a club to talk about pickles–different brands, different flavours, the pickling process, etc. They continued to post pickle-related content on their Instagram feed, but over time became less active and less specific with how they portrayed the club. 

In the past few months, there hasn’t been much content from the Pickle Sisters, but they still remain a hot topic amongst UVic students due to the enticing concept of a club based on pickles. 

At CCU days this past month, many students approached their table asking about what they were about but did not receive concrete answers. A first year music student disclosed how when she asked them about what they do, the question was avoided. Their vagueness and how they choose to represent themselves inspired me to reach out for a short interview. 

I first approached the Pickle Sisters at CCU days to ask for an interview, and then I messaged them on Instagram to ask my questions. My questions for the Pickle Sisters were quite simple, but their answers were anything but.

What are the Pickle Sisters?

“This is a common question, and one that does not have a straightforward answer. Over the years, the Pickle Sisters have become infamous for our ambiguity, experimentalism, and innovative essence. The Pickle Sisters do not define ourselves on a material level. In fact, we reject materialism. We exist in the liminal spaces of interactions and energies between open minded intellectuals…we are a curation community who provide a space for everyone (not just Sisters!) who like Pickles and renounce sweet pickles.”

What was the inspiration for starting the Pickle Sisters?

“The founding members noticed a lack of clubs for the multi-faceted, for those who cannot be tied down by a single interest. Pickle Sisters began as a private social media community who collaborated on and shared their pickle findings…since then, we have become a plethora for expression and conversation on campus, garnering hundreds of members, nurturing bonds, and doing our part to make UVic a better place. We look at pop culture through the glass of a Pickle jar, brining said culture, current events, and cucumbers all in the same batch.”

What can we expect from joining the Pickle Sisters? (meetings, events etc.)

“Due to the intangibility of the Pickle Club, we do not meet physically on a regular basis at the moment. However, we are ever present in spirit, through our social platforms and the passion and connections between members like you. We have multiple schemes in the works, including pop up events, interactive quests, and shows with collaborating artists. We are currently working on an interactive art project to assert our presence in the community and help fellow sisters find each other…To keep up to date with our whereabouts, be sure to follow our Instagram @picklesistersuvic, for regular updates.” 

If people weren’t already confused and intrigued about who the Pickle Sisters are before, they definitely would be now. While their answers didn’t directly answer all my questions, their commitment to remaining mysterious remains consistent. 

If anyone is interested in learning more about the Pickle Sisters, they say: “Don’t be afraid to reach out…we love to hear from you all. We are elusive by nature, so keep your minds, eyes, and hearts open.”

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Aleisha Woodman is the Social Media Director at the University of Victoria chapter of Her Campus. She is in charge of generating and overseeing posts on the Her Campus @ UVic Instagram and TikTok pages, as well as writing and editing articles. Aleisha is currently in her third year at the University of Victoria, majoring in Gender Studies and minoring in Journalism. She has received numerous scholarships and accolades for her academic achievement both before and during her time at UVic. Aleisha has been with Her Campus since 2022, working as a writer and editor before moving up to be the Social Media Director. While her published writing experience is limited to Her Campus at the moment, she hopes to expand her portfolio in the coming years with publications such as The Martlet here at UVic. Aleisha specializes in writing on topics surrounding music, pop culture, as well as global issues and social justice. When she’s not writing, Aleisha is a barista and a huge coffee nerd always practicing her latte art. She’s also a pop-culture fanatic (a fangirl, if you will) who will often be found listening to 5 Seconds of Summer and Phoebe Bridgers, as well as reading her favourite romance novels.