Wellness

The Complete Spring Cleaning Guide for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

As we near the end of March, that means one thing – spring cleaning! I know, how can a college student have time to deep clean during paper season? Thankfully, you’ll only need to set aside one rainy day in order to enjoy a clean space for the rest of the semester. Here, we have set aside some semi-annual (or annual, we won’t judge) projects to complete before the warm weather sets in.

Clean your Washer/Dryer.

One thing you learn in adulthood is that your washer unfortunately does not clean itself. If your clothes don’t feel (and smell) as clean as they used to be fresh out of the washer, you may be overdue for a cleaning. While you’re at it, clean your dryer too! The lint trap does not collect everything, and the accumulation of dust particles can be a fire hazard.

Bug-proof your living situation.

I’ve noticed that spiders, salamanders and other spring bugs have begun to make a reappearance, gotta love basement suite life! Now is the time to spray any crevices that may provide a path for critters to get indoors, so you don’t find an unexpected visitor in the corners of your living space.

Sanitize those water bottles!

At this point in the semester, your emotional-support water bottle might be a little dingy. To prevent any unexpected illnesses, take cleaning your drinking devices a step further by sanitizing them on the stove. Be sure to check that your container is safe to boil first!

Deep clean those windows!

In the Pacific North West, damp windows tend to grow mold over the winter, and said mold can hide in tricky spots. Grab your mould preventer and Q-tips, and make sure every crevice is spotless!

Have any personal transportation?

Bikes, cars, you name it – they tend to need some TLC after the winter season. By taking any garbage out of your vehicle or sprucing up your bike tires, you’ll be set for whatever adventures await in the summer season. If you rely on public transportation, consider this a win – one less thing to clean!

With a clean space, you’ll have less on your plate once exam season arrives. Be sure to set time aside soon before the tempting sunny weather is upon us!

Savannah is currently in her fourth year at UVic majoring in English and Business! When not swamped with readings, she can be found exploring downtown, drinking way too many pumpkin spice cold brews, reading, and enjoying the experiences UVic has to offer.