This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

With the fall weather upon us, warm drinks are the best for cold, rainy days in Victoria. As well as being a great source of caffeine during the darkening days, the new flavours of tea released by local tea shops when the leaves started to change is a great way to enjoy the colder seasons. Running around town buying new teas inspired me to review some of the new autumn-inspired blends.

Deep Purple – DavidsTea

DavidsTea is a popular shop for tea lovers everywhere! Their Deep Purple is a part of their Halloween collection and is described as a lemon-berry inspired blend. The hue of the drink is a dark purple due to the Kenyan purple tea, reminiscent of a witches brew. The light citrusy flavour of the blend is surprisingly refreshing, and it would go great with a hint of sugar. 

Monster Mash – DavidsTea

This pumpkin-butter-inspired blend smells just like a pumpkin pie taken out of the oven. The difference between this tea and the others reviewed is that it’s a rooibos tea, which is caffeine-free. There is a hint of spice, which is not too overpowering and allows you to enjoy the rest of the flavours. There is a tang to this tea much like the feeling of a crisp fall day.

Pumpkin Chai – DavidsTea

This nutty flavoured tea has all the flavours of chai, however, it is hard to find any pumpkin notes hidden in the tea. The beverage does smell like the pumpkin pie one would bring out for Thanksgiving, yet it is hard to pick up the pumpkin taste. The pumpkin candies throughout the blend give a joyous look to it, however, this tastes very similar to a regular chai blend. It is a good choice if you want to drink something seasonal.

First Frost – Murchie’s

Murchie’s is a classic Victoria shop that is a fan favourite for their handmade blends. The first thing I noticed about this tea is it sparkles under the light, reminiscent of sparkling snow early in the morning when all is quiet.  The vanilla perfectly complements the mint, making it a delicate morning beverage. Mixed with honey, this tea provides the perfect amount of sweetness.

Pumpkin Spice – Murchies

This tea has a strong flavour due to the spices, but the spices are also perfectly balanced. The spices are paired with milk, which gives it a soothing flavour. This tea would be perfect while doing your class readings early in the morning on campus or during a soothing afternoon walk through Mystic Vale.

Overall, these teas have their strong suits depending on the weather and time of day: for a chilly campus morning, I would recommend the mintiness of First Frost; caffeine-free Monster Mash before climbing into bed; my personal favourite, Deep Purple, would be great with a midday snack; and, the similar flavours of Pumpkin Chai and Pumpkin Spice are perfect stormy weather teas.

Savannah is currently in her fourth year at UVic majoring in English and Business! When not swamped with readings, she can be found exploring downtown, drinking way too many pumpkin spice cold brews, reading, and enjoying the experiences UVic has to offer.
Carly Grabher is in her fifth year of Creative Writing at The University of Victoria with a minor in Gender Studies. She is the Campus Correspondent of the UVic chapter and has been a contributing writer and editor with Her Campus for four years. In addition to writing articles, Carly formerly danced and worked at Canada's National Ballet School, redesigned the website for The University of Victoria Faculty Association, and worked as the communications and events assistant with UVic's Co-operative Education Program and Career Services.