Taylore Costello: Aspiring Art Teacher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Taylore Costello is in her 3rd year at UVic. She began her studies in Visual Arts but transitioned to Art Education and English because she has always wanted to be an Art and English teacher. One of her favourite forms of art is photography, which she has studied and now practices as a hobby. Taylore hopes to teach photography to high school students as part of her job as an educator.

How did you begin doing photography?

In high school I liked it but I never really did it, I didn’t do darkroom work at all. Then in first year one of my very first classes was photography and it just clicked with me. I really like it.

I think I got the highest mark I’ve got at UVic (so far) in that class. It just clicked for me, so I continued with it from there.

What format do you use, film or digital?

I use both. Throughout second year I mostly did film, but I prefer digital because of the time it takes to develop film yourself. I guess I could take my film somewhere to get it developed, but I just prefer digital.

I noticed you have a Tumbler account (http://taylorelouisecostello.tumblr.com), are the images things that inspire you or your work?

On that it’s ones that inspire me. On the Internet I find all these pictures that I really like and I always wonder what you can do with those? How they could fit into your life?

I have all these magazines and I have always liked pictures and things like that but I have no use for them. Tumbler is just my way of getting things out there, so I am not just hoarding pictures on my computer.

Do you hope to incorporate your love for photography into teaching?

I would like to. I feel like in high schools the photography that you learn is so general you can’t really get specialized. I found while at UVic that there were many avenues of photography that I wasn’t aware of, so it would be cool to incorporate that into high school curriculum.

If you could pick anywhere to teach art where would you go?

Australia has a really cool arts program. In high schools their level is a lot more advanced than here. It’s amazing. It’s university level or higher.

They, from an early age, are into art a lot more. It’s less about craft and more about high level art. It’s something different; they are just on a higher level than we are here.

Clare Walton is a third year Sociology, Social Justice, and Journalism student at the University of Victoria. Growing up in Canada, India, Guyana, and Indonesia she has seen the world. Her exposure to different cultures and practices has made her keen to hear people’s stories. Clare has been a news editor and reporter for various high school and university papers.