This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

With New York Fashion Week over and spring just around the corner this seasons fashion trends are becoming more apparent. A stand out this year was definitely the unique and beautiful hairstyles. From colours to cuts, designers showed their creativity on the runways this past week, and although many of them are too severe for everyday wear, it’s easy to pull out what you like and get inspiration from all the different styles.

Romantic Updo

This hairstyle definitely isn’t new, but it is making a huge comeback this season. From Michael America to Sherri Hill, soft twists and face framing layers were just about everywhere. Check out this article for a description of what the lead hair stylist of Sherri Hill was going for and a quick tutorial on how to achieve the look. Next time you go for a haircut, ask for some layers starting just under your chin and this look will be perfect for you. Great for bad hair days or rainy spring mornings, this hairstyle will get those strands out of your face while still looking chic and put together. If you need a bit more help figuring out just how to get this look try this video tutorial by Pantene.

Crimped Ponytail

If you’re feeling a little daring, try this crimpy throw back that Stella McCartney used for her runway display this season. You can look at this tutorial explaining how to get the look. But for a zero-heat video option try here.  No heat is perfect for the warmer days when you don’t feel like slaving around a straightener, and the crimps add volume to your hair while making it a little more interested than your every day pony tail.

Slicked Back

Balmain proved in his runway show that this sleek down-do is not going anywhere. This look is quick to achieve, but also easy to get wrong. With the right products and a bit of practice you’ll get it right. This article will show you how to get the look. Balenciaga used a similar method on their models, but with a middle part and their hair tucked behind their ears. There are tons of ways to switch this hairstyle up and make it look perfect for your face shape.

Retro Waves

Pucci, Matthew Williamson and Jenny Packham all brought back these big, 50’s inspired waves that are easy to recreate and look perfect on just about everyone. Check out the video above to get the look with no heat! This method is quick and easy- and you can do it the night before to make your morning routine that much easier. It’s easier to do with a curling iron as well, just use a wider barrel than usual and be sure to brush the curls out once they’ve cooled.

Fishtail Crown

What is a spring fashion show without braids? A lot of people shy away from hairstyles like this because they can look a lot more difficult than they really are. This tutorial will show you how to look like you walked right off the runway. It’s actually quite simple, but if you can’t get it right away just keep practicing. Once you get it right you’ll be able to try just about anything and alter this hairstyle to make it perfect for you. Your hair will be out of your face, and the braids will go perfectly with all your romantic spring dresses.

These hairstyles are all fresh and perfect for springtime! Give them a try to spice up your everyday look and step a bit outside the box. If all else fails, try to look that’s always on the runways- all-natural! Spring is the perfect time to give those strands a break and still look perfectly chic.

Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison
Originally from Calgary, Alberta, Melissa Guenette currently studies business at the University of Victoria's Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. When she's not studying for midterms or finals, Melissa enjoys reading Harry Potter, being out in nature, and considers herself a connoisseur for all things dessert related. With her dry sense of humour and charismatic personality, she often leaves a room in stitches, a quality she considers beneficial while working on HerCampus' UVic Chapter. Follow her on Twitter @MelGuenette.