This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

The most grating part of the holidays, other than people who get upset over retail workers saying “Happy Holidays” is absolutely the music. There are only so many times you can hear a Christmas song before you want to strangle the person subjecting you to it. Be not afraid: there is good seasonal music out there. Some of these songs do mention Christmas, some are more seasonal in general, but none of them are going to drive you crazy (I promise!)

White Wish Hymnal – Fleet Foxes

A warm, inviting song with chilling lyrics that will make you go, “Wait, what did he just sing?” There’s no better song to kick off the winter season.

River – Joni Mitchell

Any rendition of this song is a winner (my favourite being Sarah Mclachlan’s), but the original can’t be beaten. The perfect song to cry to when you need it.

Don’t Shoot me Santa – The Killers

Or any of The Killers’ Christmas singles, which usually take a silly and dark look at the holiday. “Don’t Shoot me Santa” is exactly what it sounds like. Lead singer Brandon Flowers did something terrible, and Santa’s delivering justice, so the song is an exchange between them as Flowers begs for his life.

The Beautiful Things We Waste – Matthew Barber

“Bright red and green / tis’ the season to say what I mean.” And boy, does this Canadian songwriter sing what he means in this deeply emotional track.

Song for a Winter’s Night – Gordon Lightfoot

Get a little bit romantic with this gorgeous song from a Canadian icon.

Mushaboom – Feist

Fantasize about a future of dirt roads and knee-deep snow, and feel nostalgia for things to come. Follow this song up with Feist’s “Gatekeeper,” to keep up the folksy, season feel.

A Hazy Shade of Winter – Simon & Garfunkel

You can never go wrong with a bit of Simon & Garfunkel, especially with an absolute banger like this one.

Present Face – Garfunkel and Oates

Some of these songs are pretty moody, so cheer up with this silly song about how we have to react when we get gifts that we don’t like.

Hopefully, these songs will get you through the holiday season with minimal Mariah Carey songs stuck in your head. You can find them all here, in a convenient playlist. Happy Holidays!

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.