George the campus peacock
George the campus peacock
Photo by Jessica Legati
Life > Experiences

Some frequently asked questions about George, UVic’s favourite feathered friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Every UVic student knows him. He is an icon. He is George. 

It has been nearly two years since George, the campus peacock, burst onto the scene. We know him, we love him, but what don’t we know about him? Here’s some frequently asked questions about our beautiful blue buddy.

Where did he come from?

The common answer to this question is that he came from Beacon Hill Park. He was bullied by the other peacocks and was sad, so he left to find a new home.

How did he get here?

He may have hitchhiked. He may have made the trek all by himself. Or, perhaps, he was kidnapped by students and brought to his new home here at UVic. 

What does he eat?

He feeds on the sorrows of university students and discarded Cove food that residents couldn’t bear to eat any more of.

What does he do in his free time?

He does the same thing we all do on campus – naps in the library and gossips with his friends (the other birds).

Where did his feathers go?

He’s changing them to stay in style for the season. Peacocks like to keep up with fashion just like us and they, unfortunately, don’t make Blundstones in his size.

Can I pet him?

Not unless you’re interested in losing your hands. 

All jokes aside, we all must make sure we’re respecting George and giving him the space he needs. He has as much right to be here as we do, and we’re lucky to have him around to make our campus unique and fun. 

Aleisha Woodman is the Social Media Director at the University of Victoria chapter of Her Campus. She is in charge of generating and overseeing posts on the Her Campus @ UVic Instagram and TikTok pages, as well as writing and editing articles. Aleisha is currently in her third year at the University of Victoria, majoring in Gender Studies and minoring in Journalism. She has received numerous scholarships and accolades for her academic achievement both before and during her time at UVic. Aleisha has been with Her Campus since 2022, working as a writer and editor before moving up to be the Social Media Director. While her published writing experience is limited to Her Campus at the moment, she hopes to expand her portfolio in the coming years with publications such as The Martlet here at UVic. Aleisha specializes in writing on topics surrounding music, pop culture, as well as global issues and social justice. When she’s not writing, Aleisha is a barista and a huge coffee nerd always practicing her latte art. She’s also a pop-culture fanatic (a fangirl, if you will) who will often be found listening to 5 Seconds of Summer and Phoebe Bridgers, as well as reading her favourite romance novels.