This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Post-secondary flies by. One week you’re moving into residence, getting your OneCard photo taken and trying to find your first-class in Cornett, and suddenly you’re in the second semester of one of your final years, wondering how you’ve made it this far. How do you know if you’ve made the right choices when everything moves so fast? 

Here are some reflections from two soon-to-be graduate Her Campus members on what they wish they’d done or done differently during their degree.

Abby Koning

“I’m in my fourth year and my final semester, studying political science with a minor in human dimensions of climate change. One thing I wish I had done differently is to not always take 5 courses each semester. I didn’t necessarily plan to have my degree done in four years, and I would definitely tell people that they shouldn’t rush for four. I’ve had a few difficult semesters where it would have just been nice to drop a class to ease the load, but I always felt like I was “supposed” to take 5. Now that I’m in my final semester, it would be a dream to go down to 4, but I don’t have that option. Now I have to take two seminars at once, and I’m finding it a challenging way to end.

I also wish I’d taken advantage of all the free tools there are to help you. It wasn’t until my third year that I actually started meeting with librarians, going to office hours really regularly, and checking out the centre for academic communication. In addition, I wish I had attended the free academic events on campus. There are so many cool talks given by different faculty, and even though it doesn’t always feel like it, during university is when you actually have the most flexibility to work these into your schedule. There’s some awesome opportunities out there!”

Ria Boldt

“I’m in my fourth, but not final, year. I wish I’d been willing to change my major sooner and try out classes that actually interested me rather than what I thought I had to do to get out of university as quickly as possible. I probably would have done better academically and saved myself a whole year where I was totally lost.”

Nobody does post-secondary the same way. No matter our regrets, the privilege of education will always be a worthwhile experience, as long as we’re following our interests, and our dreams. 

What are some things you wished you’d done throughout your undergrad or advice you’d give to students just beginning their post-secondary journeys?

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.
Carly Grabher is in her fifth year of Creative Writing at The University of Victoria with a minor in Gender Studies. She is the Campus Correspondent of the UVic chapter and has been a contributing writer and editor with Her Campus for four years. In addition to writing articles, Carly formerly danced and worked at Canada's National Ballet School, redesigned the website for The University of Victoria Faculty Association, and worked as the communications and events assistant with UVic's Co-operative Education Program and Career Services.