Poker, Mafia, and Bad-Ass Women: A Review of Molly’s Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

If you’re looking for a strong female character in film, than look no further than Molly’s Game. Jessica Chastain plays Molly Bloom, an almost Olympian who created her own exclusive, high-stakes poker game with some of the world’s best known names. After being shut down for two years, she becomes a target for the FBI because, unbeknownst to her, members of the Russian mafia played at her table.

Aaron Sorkin adapted Molly Bloom’s tell-all memoir, Molly’s Game: From Hollywood’s Elite to Wall Street’s Billionaire Boys Club, My High-Stakes Adventure in the World of Underground Poker. He also made his directing debut with this film, and it was not a disappointment. Sorkin is known for his ping-pong dialogue that furiously drives the narrative forward (here’s an interview in which he talks about his movie and how he had trouble directing his own dialogue). His filmography includes The Social Network, The West Wing TV series, Steve Jobs, and Moneyball.

Molly started small in the world of backroom poker and built herself a name from the ground up. Along the way, she faced several adversaries: all men, and all victims of toxic masculinity. But Molly’s wits and integrity surpasses it all. I would also like to note that, when she officially creates her own elite poker club, the people she hires to help her are all women.

One of the big themes for this movie is father-daughter relationships. We have Molly and her father, Larry Bloom (Kevin Costner), whose tumultuous relationship pervades the movie subtly in the background. We also see the relationship between Molly’s no-nonsense lawyer, Charlie Jaffey (Idris Elba), and his daughter. Both Charlie and Larry have raised their daughters with the belief that sometimes, your child needs tough love to become the best they can be. Like any relationship between a parent and their child, Molly and Larry’s relationship highlights the fact that love transcends all transgressions, and that human beings are flawed and complicated.

A powerful scene in the movie is between Charlie and Molly. Idris Elba and Jessica Chastain are top-notch actors who are clearly at the top of their game. Paired with Sorkin’s dialogue, their scenes are simply dynamite. Charlie, not wanting Molly to go to prison, encourages her to take the FBI’s deal and give information on the people who played at her table. Molly refuses to sell out the players at her table, even if they totally deserve it, because the secrets she knows will ruin not only the lives of these men, but their families, too. This scene demonstrates the breadth of Molly’s morality and rectitude. She’d rather do the right thing and potentially be convicted than sully her name and her character. It’s empowering to see a successful and intelligent woman of class and moral integrity. It’s a reminder that you can be strong, resourceful, and respected while still being true to yourself.  

If you’re not sold yet, read here about how Jessica Chastain really is the person we should all strive to be.

I would highly recommend Molly’s Game because a badass woman who achieves whatever she puts her mind despite relentless pushback from men is a role model we can all get behind.

Sources:

1/2/3/4

Leah Smith

U Vic '20

Coming from Edmonton, AB, Leah is a writing student in the Fine Arts Department at the University of Victoria. She enjoys all things story related including but not limited to TV, movies, and books. She is a die-hard fan of Peaky Blinders, Mr. Robot, and Jane the Virgin. She loves desserts and when she has time enjoys baking and hanging out with her family and friends. She is easy-going and with an avid love for music and hopes to be a screenwriter.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison