Life > Experiences

New Year, Old Me: 3 Habits I Intend to Continue In 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

When January 1st rolls around it seems as though everyone, from my older brother to my Starbucks barista, is keen to discuss New Year’s Resolutions. The question arises naturally, a New Year feels like the appropriate time to refocus our intentions and meet our goals with a renewed energy. With this excitement comes a myriad of articles about how, in most cases, New Year’s resolutions fail,reflecting on why sustained changes are so complicated. A University of Scranton study estimated that 23% of people quit their new year’s resolution within one week of starting.

January is also an odd time to start a new project for a few reasons, bank balances are especially low after the holidays, and they often match our low energy levels; having spent the last few weeks responding to every social invite, making small talk with distant relatives and entertaining friends. 

So why burden ourselves with a whole new project? Why not pick back up where we left off before the holiday instead and continue with some of the good intentions that we had in 2022? On reflection, you as well can discover that you do not have to wipe the slate clean; you can add to it instead! 

For example, I am reflecting on the practices I began in 2022, seeing what worked, adjusting, and continuing. I hope my goals will inspire you to do the same and reconnect with the new, old you.

Practice more mindful forms of movement.

Let us start with the big one. As many regular gym-goers bemoan, January brings a pack of newcomers to every commercial gym, looking to kick-start the New Year with a fitness challenge. If that is right for you, do not let anyone discourage you. However, 2022 has been about learning to use movement more positively and holistically. It sounds corny (maybe a little new-age), but 2022 brought with it the desire to do more exercise that felt good for my mind and not just my physique.

Incorporating mindfulness practices, moving meditations, walks and hikes with friends, or fun dance routines, has been something that has helped me separate the desire to exercise and move from any negative thoughts about body size, calories or shape. 

A tool that can be very helpful is a journaling app, like JournalIt!, which includes space to reflect on movement or track habits; rather than looking at reps, time, or even calories burned. Connecting with how I felt doing the activity (body and mind) has allowed me to re-align the reasons on why I move. Choosing shorter bursts of activity like a quick dance routine when I am strapped for time, or adjusting around illness, injury, and energy levels, provided more consistency and balance!

Spice up my watch list with new and unusual films!

As a Visual Studies major, taking Film and Film History courses has long been my favorite part of university life! This, of course, means obligatory watches of syllabus films, however weird or wonderful they are. It has also encouraged me to take risks when visiting my local Cineplex, choosing foreign language movies or films in genres I do not usually opt for (including experimental cinema, animation, and documentaries). Working in film courses has exposed me to incredible, admirable directors and films that I would have never chosen if left to my own devices, including classics like His Girl Friday and Chytilova’s Daisies. If, like me, you find yourself fatigued when scrolling through streaming services: only to settle on a familiar rom-com or the latest Marvel film, pushing the boundaries and challenging yourself to watch more foreign, classic, or independent movies can make an unconventional resolution! Many universities also subscribe to streaming services like Kanopy and Criterion Channel through their campus library; being a student is the perfect time to explore the uncharted waters of film for free.

Practice learning a language every day.

This is a habit I’ve maintained throughout 2022 and is definitely still on my goal list for the year ahead. Whether it’s through a language learning app or even through a university course, having a continued practice of a new language has proved a fun and enriching way to work on a skill that isn’t directly contributing to my master’s degree but brings value to me.

Each day I maintain this habit, it gives me a really positive sense of achieving something through achieving a minimal goal. For example, just 10-15 minutes a day has taken off the pressure and made it feel very achievable. I chose Spanish after an inspiring trip to Madrid and have been trying to practice a little each day. For 2023, I’d like to step it up a notch, maybe braving a formal class, or to attend a local “language café”. Maybe there’s a new skill you tested out in 2022 that you have loved, or maybe you have been tempted to revisit a language you already learned!

January may come once a year, but there are 11 other months to work on self-improvement, building positive habits, doing things you enjoy, or simply making more time to be with family and friends. I hope you will also feel inspired to reflect on the great things you have already done over the last 12 months and move at your own pace. Happy 2023, may it be fabulous, just like you!

Sarah is a 27 year old MA Art History and Visual Studies student at Uvic. She loves writing about art, film and music. When she's not busy blogging or studying she loves to dance, practise yoga, visit galleries and cook yummy vegetarian food!