New Reads to Get you Through Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It’s nice to give your brain a little break every now and then, especially after studying your butt off for midterms. With the chilly weather getting colder, sometimes that break means snuggling up under the covers with a book in hand. So why not read some creepy tales while it’s still October? Below are some picks that go beyond the ghost/vampire/zombie horror for a unique Halloween read.

The Apollo Murders – Chris Hadfield

It’s not often you find an astronaut who is also a great writer! Hadfield allows us to experience the isolation of space, and all from the comfort of your own reading space.

Random House Canada, Image source: amazon.ca
Cackle – Rachel Harrison

If your holiday-guilty-pleasures are Hallmark movies, then this novel provides a treat for you! When a woman moves to upstate New York, she befriends a neighbour with a few spooky tricks up their sleeve…

Berkley, Image source: amazon.ca
Reality and Other Stories – John Lanchester

If you’re looking for some shorter reads (it is midterm season after all!) look no further than this spooky collection. By introducing the concept of how technology-reliant we can be and incorporating ghosts into the narrative, Lanchester provides a creepy read that’s both chilling and enlightening.

Faber & Faber, ​​Image source: amazon.ca
Trickster Trilogy – Eden Robinson

As a UVic student, reading Eden Robinson is an unofficial requirement to graduate. Robinson’s trilogy explores traditional Haisla spirits – the Haisla trickster Wee’jit in particular. With the final installment released earlier this year, now is the perfect time to delve into this trilogy. If you’re too busy to commit to a trilogy,  Robinson’s other works (such as Monkey Beach) also have great narratives. 

Knopf Canada, Image source: amazon.ca
Revelator – Daryl Gregory

With Robinson providing us with Northern Gothic reads, Revelator taps into Southern Gothic. Set in 1930s Tennessee, the story explores family religion during the Great Depression. There are plenty of ways this story implements spookiness. Topped with an entity named “Ghostdaddy” (I’m not kidding), this novel is a fast-paced thriller perfect for the current chill.

Knopf, Image source: amazon.ca

Be careful not to read these too close to bedtime. Happy reading!

Savannah is currently in her fourth year at UVic majoring in English and Business! When not swamped with readings, she can be found exploring downtown, drinking way too many pumpkin spice cold brews, reading, and enjoying the experiences UVic has to offer.