This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Being in a long-distance relationship can be hard, and being in a long-distance relationship around Valentine’s day is especially tough. My TikTok has been filled with cute couples planning their Valentine’s Day and it’s a constant reminder of the distance. But I have to keep telling myself that being bitter is no way to spend Valentine’s Day, and just because you aren’t going to be in the same place doesn’t mean you can’t still spend time with them. This doesn’t just apply to romantic relationships, long-distance friendships are real and hard too, and these suggestions are just as great for a Galentine’s day.

So what to do when you’re not going to be able to see each other? While Facetime is great for day-to-day communication, going on dates is a step above. And I’m not here to diss you for sticking to a video call on Valentine’s Day, hey – you take what you can get. What I’m here  to do is give you a few more ideas if you’re wanting to spice things up and do something a little extra for V-day.

Virtual movie night.

Movie nights are always great, and luckily not hard to do over Zoom (or your video calling software of choice). Just grab some snacks, pick a movie, share your screen, and you’re all set. Bonus points if you can convince them to watch something romantic.

Play a multiplayer game.

There are loads of games out there that you can play together online, from card games like Uno to Kahoot! to “Jackbox Party Packs”. If you’re both into video games, that can be a great additional way to spend time together.

Send them something.

Though it may be a little cliche, everyone likes getting flowers, sweets, or a handmade card on Valentine’s Day. And even if you can’t deliver them yourself, they are a great gesture to treat someone you love. And having something tangible from your person can make the distance feel (a little) smaller.

Cook together.

Just because you aren’t in the same kitchen doesn’t mean you can’t both cook together. This one is easy to do over Facetime, and you can even add a little competition to it and make the same recipe. Finish it off with dessert and you’ve got yourself an at-home dinner date to rival any in-person meal. (Well…almost)

I’m half of the mind that Valentine’s Day is just a hokey day made up to make everyone feel inadequate – whether they’re in a relationship or not. But the other half of my mind, the one that loves rom-coms and happy endings, is enamoured by the idea of a day just for appreciating and loving the people in your life. No matter how far away you might be from them, there are still lots of ways to spend the day ‘together’.

Sierra is a third-year student at UVic, studying philosophy, sociology and all things human. When she's not studying, she loves finding new spots to eat, spending time outdoors, watching crime dramas and roaming the aisles of used bookstores.