Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Long Distance Valentine’s Dates For When You Miss That Special Someone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Valentine’s is approaching fast but your partner is stuck in another city, province, state, or country. All of the romantic dates you hear feel impossible when separated from your loved one. Don’t stress, there are many virtual options for celebrating Valentines that can still be romantic and thoughtful.

Order in your partner their favourite meal and have a FaceTime dinner date.

If you can’t be with your partner in person, why not use a delivery service to send each other a favourite meal and arrange a  romantic dinner date on FaceTime. Though it isn’t the same as being in person, you can still enjoy delicious food together. You could even set up some candles to add some ambiance.

Use Teleparty/Zoom to watch a movie or TV show together.

This browser extension is a fantastic way to watch movies or favourite TV shows with that special someone. Though it’s not possible to curl up into each other, it’s almost as if you’re in the same room!

One of my roommates uses Zoom to screen share and watch shows and movies with her partner. That ensures there’s no awkward lags or pauses with the movie synced up.

Send handwritten letters.

If words of affirmation are your SO’s love language, this is a perfect gift to send. Handwritten letters can be sent in the lead up to Valentine’s Day and are a great way to truly express your feelings for your partner in writing. Letters are also a great memento to keep when you’re missing your special someone and need a little extra reminder of love. Personally, I love receiving letters from my boyfriend and writing them for him – as well.

Mail a care package.

Send your SO a package filled with either special treats that they love, spray your perfume on it (so they’ll think of you when they smell it). Bundle together little things you think they would like or need. It doesn’t need to be expensive, showing they’re in your thoughts can go a long way.

Surprise them in person.

If the timing and money works out, surprising them in person is truly the best gift you can give! Though  watch out, make sure you know for sure they will be home. If they’re travelling to surprise you, this idea would definitely backfire!

There are countless ways that you can still make Valentine’s special even if you’re not in the same city. A scrapbook of memories, sending a playlist you made just for them, or even touring a virtual museum or going on a virtual vacation together. No matter what plans you make, it is always the small things that show you’re thinking of them and missing one another until you can see each other in person again!

As a former Campus Correspondents at the Her Campus at UVic chapter, Paige published content, managed the executive team, oversaw retention and recruitment, and hosted meetings, now she is back to simply wiritng and editing, what she truly enjoys. She has been with Her Campus since September of 2022 as both a writer and editor before deciding to take on a larger role as Chapter Leader. She has published a piece with the campus newspaper before deciding that she preferred to edit and publish articles instead. She has done media for a non-profit as well as collabing with local newspapers to promote the festival that the non-profit ran. As a third-year writing major at UVic, Paige is minoring in journalism with a focus in creative nonfiction. She received a scholarship for a short story she wrote in 2020. She has also received various academic scholarships for her grades. She hopes to go into either publishing/editing or working for a newspaper/magazine somewhere in Europe one day, ideally in the world of Formula One. In her free time, Paige watches and keeps up with the Formula One world. She also enjoys reading a good book, bingeing one of her favourite TV shows such as Criminal Minds or Bones, and visiting bookstores.