Life > Experiences

Indoor Snow Day Activities: how to have a productive January

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

After the surprise snow day, that’s slowly turning into a snow week here at UVic, classes are cancelled, and going out of the house is life or death (for the “Birkenclog” people at least) So the question is raised: what can you do on a snow day?

Make a DIY dish with the food you have

Driving, bussing, or walking to the grocery store might not be an option right now, so take the challenge! Bring in your roommates to pile up what food you have, and make a dish out of those ingredients that are about to go bad, or are hiding in the back corners of your cupboard. 

Clean your living space

You read that right. Even though the snowy weather is the perfect time to bundle up and relax, it is also a great opportunity to really look around at your living space and find things that could use some cleaning, or at least tidying up.

Get ahead on homework

This may not feel like the most relaxing snow day activity, but I can promise it’ll feel really freeing and good to get ahead on those few upcoming assignments—because they always sneak up on you. Keep the “staying ahead of my assignments” prerogative alive through January by logging into Brightspace.

Craft it up

Do you have some paper and markers? Maybe you can learn origami and make a fortune teller as a throwback to elementary school. Make a card for a friend that means a lot to you or some art to decorate your fridge. See what’s laying around and try to think if there’s something you can make out of it!

Try a new makeup look

No one does winged eyeliner the first time and does it perfectly on both sides (unless they are superhuman), so take the time indoors to take out those eyeshadow palettes and liners—before they dry out—and experiment for a while. Put on some music to pump up your confidence and envision a new you.

Go through your stuff

If you’re like me and you’ve been living in the same place for a few years, you may have accumulated some stuff. Take the afternoon off to go through your clothes, shoes, bags, and whatever else. Try it on, keep it, toss it, and wash out that stain on it! That way, by the time the snow stops you’ll have a revived wardrobe and a bag of stuff to bring to the thrift store.

Hang out with your roommates or Facetime a long-distance friend

Sometimes snow days can feel isolating, so call out to your roommates and play one of those card games you’ve accumulated but never tried. Learn how to play a card game like Crazy Eights or Memory and make a warm–or even boozy–beverage for everyone. If that’s not an option, reach out to a friend who lives in a different city or even a relative and check in how they’re doing.

Above all, be safe and bundle up when trekking into the winter wonderland that awaits outside!

Ashley Ciambrelli is the Senior Editor for the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Victoria. She is in charge of ensuring a high quality of professional writing for the writers that are on her team. She manages the editing team, ensuring they meet Her Campus standards and stay on schedule. Alongside overseeing the editing team, she also loves writing articles herself. Ashley is currently in her third year at the University of Victoria where she is majoring in writing and minoring in journalism and publishing. Ashley has been with Her Campus since the fall of 2022, where she began with writing articles. Later that year, her passion for writing led her to take on a more prominent role within the editing team. In her free time, Ashley enjoys making tea and watching any 2000s teen drama. She casually records vocals for local singers on the side, and is currently working on releasing some music of her own. She is a foster mom with the BC SPCA, and has a strong love for all fluffy creatures — especially bunnies. She loves DSLR photography and hopes to combine her passion for writing with visual media sometime in the future.