Style > Fashion

How to successfully dress for an office interview! 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

2024 is your year to conquer the job market and secure that coveted internship or co-op position. Whether you’re graduating soon, on the hunt for your work term, or just looking to make some extra cash to support college expenses, you’ll want to nail the process from start to finish.

Getting the call to interview is a victory, but when you start to get excited, panic sets in. What will they ask you? How will you get there? What are you going to wear?! You have the skills and experience; with these tips, you can pick the perfect outfit to walk into that workplace with your head held high. 

Tip 1: Know the difference between business professional and business casual.

Business professional

It should come as no surprise that different offices come with varying expectations of formality. Business professional attire still prevails in some bigger corporations and industries like finance, governance, and law. Even offices that are business casual day-to-day might expect more for an interview. This dress code usually requires a suit, whether that’s pants or a skirt, and a dress shirt. Go for something that is well-fitted and tailored. Though it’s tempting to go out and buy a whole new outfit, if you have one already, usually comfort is best–you don’t want to be caught in something stiff or difficult to sit down in. 

If a suit really isn’t your style, you may also be able to wear a formal dress and blazer combination.Be sure to keep this a classic cut like the shift dress and opt for muted tones. Details matter: always check for makeup stains, pet hair or stray threads before you leave. Complement the look with a wool jacket and a smart folio or bag (backpacks are a no-go).

Business casual

Those two dreaded words are such an oxymoron. How casual is too casual? How business is too business? Many employers are shifting toward a more laid-back style, so media companies, nonprofits, and education sectors might favor this dress code. 

Think comfortable, but still polished. No jeans or sneakers, but you might be able to get away with some softer silhouettes, cardigans, and floaty blouses. Still, steer away from any bold prints, or vibrant colors, these might distract from your amazing personality. You want the interviewer to remember you for your qualifications, not your wild outfit! 

Tip 2: Do your research

Wait, what if the employer doesn’t specify the dress code on the invitation? Don’t panic!

Look at the company website or social media ahead of time, to get a feel for the company culture, check out what employees are wearing in the photos and try to match your choices to the most professional-looking person. 

If in doubt, communicate. Send a simple email to the hiring manager, reaffirm how enthusiastic you are about meeting them, and ask if there’s a dress code for the interview. This will show that you’re committed to making a good impression.

Tip 3: Best foot forward.

Regarding footwear, no one wants to be slogging around in six-inch heels. Open-toes are another no-no, but depending on the formality of the interview, you might opt for a plain flat pump, a leather or mock-leather brogue, or a low chunky heel, anything between 2-4 inches is good. Brand-new shoes might seem like a great idea, but be sure to wear them one to two weeks before, to avoid unnecessary blisters! You don’t want to be in agony before you step in the door. Give anything you wear a good shine with polish and rid them of any dirt or scuff marks. 

Tip 4: Elevate the look with simple styling.

Jewelry can be a beautiful finishing touch, but leave any statement or chunky pieces at home. (It’s not 2007!). A delicate necklace or bracelet in a metallic tone is all you need, or try a chic watch to send the signal that you’re always on time! Belts are the same, go for classic black or brown leather, and match the buckle to your jewelry hue. 

If you’re anything like me, playing with your hair is your “tell” for nerves. Avoid the temptation by having it swept back. If it’s long enough, consider putting it into a styled ponytail, or swept into a half-up half-down and secured with a barrette. Always keep a comb with you so you can neatly take care of any flyaways before the interview.

Tip 5: Black isn’t always best.

Black is often a first choice for business wear, and while it can look elegant and polished, it can also appear too harsh. It’s often associated with managerial positions, so if you’re going for a starter or more junior role, consider softening it up with different tones. Blue can give off the aura that you’re trustworthy, and calm. These are great qualities that every employer looks for. Charcoal, whites, and other darker tones can also help you break away from the all-black mold. You’ll want to stay away from orange or red, these tones can sometimes be seen as too aggressive, or give the impression you aren’t serious. 

Where to hunt for workplace favorites?

H&M, Uniqlo, Banana Republic Factory, Everlane, and Zara are all great for affordable interview wear. Consider looking through thrift and consignment stores, particularly for business casual pieces. If you’re on a tight budget, ask friends or roommates for pieces you can borrow, then you can treat them to a coffee when you land the job! 

My final tip is to first and foremost, be yourself. Job interviews are an ideal opportunity to impress management, but also suss out if a potential employer is a good fit for you. so be curious and ask questions. You’ll dazzle them with your great attitude and awesome qualifications.  Good luck! 

Sarah is a 27 year old MA Art History and Visual Studies student at Uvic. She loves writing about art, film and music. When she's not busy blogging or studying she loves to dance, practise yoga, visit galleries and cook yummy vegetarian food!