This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

It’s finally fall again, and my favorite part of fall is having an excuse to get cozy and bundled up. I love the changing weather, the piles of leaves, and the way fall seems like it brings new beginnings, but it gets cold. If you’re like me and want to be warm and cozy all the time, these things will keep you cozy through to winter.

Cozy socks

I basically live in cozy socks. They’re my fall staple and a must for plane rides, camping and hiking too. I usually buy mine at Japanese dollar stores, but lots of drugstores have them, as do stores like Forever 21, considering they have basically everything you could ever want.

Scented candles

I was devastated when I got to residence this year and was told we weren’t allowed candles. Especially in autumn and winter, scented candles are my favorite cozy, festive decorations. I love the Caramel Pumpkin Swirl and Warm Apple Pie scents from Bath and Body Works. If you can’t have candles where you live, there’s electric wax melters and scented oil warmers (like the Wallflowers at Bath and Body Works), so you can still have a cozy room that smells like desserts!

Blankets

Last year, the number one thing I wanted for Christmas was a soft, fluffy blanket. You know the ones that feel like you’re cuddling a puppy? That’s what I wanted. Luckily I got my wish and got one of the coziest blankets ever, and I wrap myself in it whenever I’m at home between September and March. The Indigo/Chapters ones are incredibly fluffy; they are a bit expensive, but trust me, it’s worth the investment.

Slippers

I used to think people who wore slippers to school were crazy, but I’ve realized that they are truly geniuses. Slippers are like having bunnies hugging your feet nonstop, or walking on clouds, who wouldn’t want those things? Everyone says the Nuknuuk ones are great – you can get them inexpensively at Costco. Really, though, all slippers are good slippers.

Sweaters

Sweaters are pretty much all I wear during fall. They’re the more socially acceptable form of wearing blanket in public, and can go with pretty much anything. They’re the staple clothing items that confirm fall is here, and winter is on the way. Sweater Weather by The Neighbourhood is basically an ode to the time when it’s cool enough to wear a sweater. In true school spirit, you can get a super comfy UVic sweatshirt to keep you warm when you’re up all night studying. https://www.uvicbookstore.ca/merch/clothing/sweatshirts

Baths

I never appreciated baths enough until I started living without a bath. When it’s cold out, a bath is the best way to warm up. If you’re lucky enough to have one, light a scented candle, get your favorite book and a warm drink, and create a relaxing and cozy atmosphere for your warm bath. This is definitely a good idea on a cold fall day.

Warm drinks

I probably rely too much on tea and coffee to wake me up in the morning, but drinking a warm hot chocolate, coffee or tea on a cold day is one of life’s best feelings. Even science backs up the benefits of warm drinks, with studies saying they make you see other people’s personalities as “warmer” and that they make you feel better if you’ve been hit by the latest fall flu. Especially with a warm cookie or baked treat, a hot drink will never fail to keep you warm and cozy.

Books (and TV)

Now, books aren’t inherently cozy, but for me there’s something cozy and calming about getting into bed with some blankets and a warm cup of tea and reading my favorite book. For fall, I love to reread Harry Potter. If you’re not really into books, Netflix is always there for you.

Hopefully these tips keep you warm and cozy for all of fall and winter!

Photo sources: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9

Hot drink article source

Astra is a fourth-year Political Science, Non-fiction Writing, and French student at UVic. She can often be found talking politics, trying to watch every British show on Netflix, reading fashion blogs, planning dream travel destinations, trying to write, or exploring the many coffee shops or used bookstores Victoria has to offer. She's not sure how seriously she takes astrology, but she's a Leo sun, Taurus moon, and cancer rising.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison