How to Cut Your Own Hair

Haircuts for women are ridiculously priced, costing up to $80 at some salons, and if you just want something simple, like a trim, it can feel like a total scam. But fear not, because if you’re feeling daring enough, you can do it yourself. This past week I decided to chop my own hair and — other than kindof clogging my sink — it was not as bad of a decision as some would think. I’ve actually gotten compliments on my haircut, surprisingly enough. Now that I have obviously mastered the art of hairdressing here are some tips to give yourself a new look. 

1. 1. Make sure you have multiple mirrors.

You will need to see your head from many angles, especially the back of your hair, so make sure you have mirrors to help you see.

2. 2. Straighten your hair first if you do it dry.

You want to see the full length of your hair before you start chopping.

3. 3. Make sure both sides are equal before you start working on the back.

It is easier to use the front of your hair as a reference as you move back to keep it even, so make sure both sides match before proceeding.

4. 4. Have someone look at it before you debut it.

No one wants to go out looking like Edward Scissorhands came after them and sometimes you will miss a piece or two, so have your friend, family or whoever look it over to make sure you got it all even.

5. 5. Go for it.

Be confident while cutting and remember: if worst comes to worst, you can walk into a Supercuts Hair Salon tomorrow.

Tagged: