This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

For many Her Campus contributors, the excitement of finding a dress for graduation was second only to actually leaving high school for good. Finding the perfect look was, at least for myself, a big priority. I definitely procrastinated my assignments to browse online for my dress — some things never change; I still do that! Who to go with and after-parties were important as well, but finding the one and only dress took high priority. As university students, the Her Campus UVic team looked back on what they wore on that supposedly big night. Would they wear it again? How much did they spend? Was it worth it? Let’s find out. 

Lucy 

Lucy: “ I loved my dress! [It was] honestly a lot of fun to wear something so different from what you usually do.”

HC: Would you wear it again?

Lucy: I still like it and wish I could use it again.

HC: How much did you spend? 

Lucy: I spent 130 bucks and I mean for one night that is kinda stupid. 

HC: What advice do you have for girls looking for that special dress?

Lucy:  I would say to girls going shopping now that although it is fun to dress up and wear a gown, you will regret spending a lot on a dress that really doesn’t matter very much after that one night.

Abby

Abby: I loved how I looked on the day, and I think that’s what’s most important! But, I do still think the dress looks great. Honestly, I’d probably choose something quite similar today! I already owned the shoes I wore, but I got my hair, makeup, and nails done and bought some (pretty cheap) jewelry.

HC: Where did you get it, and how much did you spend?

Abby: I ordered it online from PromGirl which can be a little risky, but I was lucky that it worked out. It cost a little over $100 US, with shipping and exchange rate on top of that. 

HC: Any advice for high schoolers searching for their grad dress? 

Abby: My biggest piece of advice would be to wear something you like, rather than trying to dress for what someone else wants or try to fit in). Also, if you’re going back and forth about whether it’s worth it to spend a lot of money, I would say it’s probably not. You can look great on a budget, and, after all, it’s only one day!

Sarah 

Sarah: I loved the dress the second I put it on and I love it now. I’d choose it again and if the occasion arises I will not hesitate to wear it.

HC: How much did you spend and how do you feel about that?

Sarah: I spent $800 on it and it better fit me when I get married because as much as I love it, I wore it once and that much money seems a bit silly in hindsight.

HC: Any advice for soon-to-be graduates?

Sarah: Tell other people to shove it with their opinions whether it’s your family, the store workers or friends about what you should wear. If you feel beautiful you will glow much brighter which shows in photos for sure.

Lindsey

Lindsey: I loved this dress, and I think it looks so flattering on me. I’m glad I picked the one that I did, but if I was going to Prom again, I would probably choose a different dress because my style has changed. I did wish I had picked a long dress–I didn’t because I’m only 5’0’’, and thought none would fit me! 

HC: How much?

Lindsey:  I used the dress rental site Rent the Runway. It isn’t available in Canada, but I rented this dress for $45 for 4 days, when the retail price was $450. It was a great experience renting through them, and while I was sad to send it back at the time, and I’m glad I didn’t buy it for full price. I bought the shoes for $40 on sale, and my mom helped me do my hair! 

HC: Advice to Prom-goers now?

Lindsey: Go at least once. I didn’t go to my senior Prom because all my friends were going with other people or friends. I was angry about that, and decided to boycott Prom. Looking back, I wish I had the confidence to show up alone and have a good time regardless of what anyone thought. 

Well dear readers, there you have it! Take it from the HC UVic team and have fun, spend wisely, and wear what makes you feel beautiful! 

Stressed about finding a dress for grad at your budget? Victoria’s Magic Wand Project offers free graduation dresses and tuxedos for rental, at no charge, so you can shine your brightest! https://www.themagicwandproject.ca/

Lindsey Schneider is a fourth-year student studying theatre and Hispanic Studies at UVic! When she's not writing plays or studying the Spanish subjunctive, she loves to go for a jog around her neighborhood and find cats to pet.
Meet Rachel Watson! Originally from Prince George, she moved to Victoria to start her undergraduate degree in 2016 and is now in her fourth year. Rachel's major is linguistics and she is pursuing a minor in psychology. She is elated to be one of the two Campus Correspondents for her lovely chapter at the University of Victoria.