This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Don’t Worry, Darling has finally hit theaters, and the reception is… lukewarm. Amid chaos and  controversy surrounding the film’s production, the intrigue around on-set dynamics seems to contain more excitement than the film itself. Nevertheless, many reviewers reflect that “Miss Flo”, AKA Florence Pugh, shines with a fantastic performance in the movie, despite claims of a lackluster script and far-fetched plot.

Since beginning her acting career in 2014 playing Abbie in The Falling, Florence Pugh has scored some incredible roles. Many will recognise her for a recurring performance in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Yelena Belova, and for her Oscar-nominated turn as Amy March in Little Women. From humble beginnings on British TV to Hollywood blockbusters, see some of Florence Pugh’s on-screen magic with this watchlist showcasing the best of Miss Flo.

Marcella Season One (2016)

This gritty UK drama is available on Netflix Canada and tells the story of police detective Marcella Blackland. Tackling disturbing blackouts and memory loss, Marcella investigates a string of killings that feel oddly familiar. Before breaking into Hollywood, Pugh played Cara Thomas, a strong-willed and streetwise girl who makes her money from webcam work and petty theft. Though she portrays a minor character, Pugh injects enough complexity and vulnerability into her character to captivate viewers. Overall, Marcella’s cold and gritty atmosphere makes for a compelling binge-watch.

Lady MacBeth (2018)

Pugh proves how incredible she is at portraying fierce determination coupled with deep human anxiety in this steamy period thriller. Unlike the title suggests, Pugh does not play the infamous madwoman of Shakespeare’s play but instead the calculating Katherine Lester. In the oppressive patriarchal society of 1865, Katherine is pushed into a suffocating engagement and driven to the edges of darkness. It’s hard to believe this was Pugh’s second feature film, as she carries off her first leading role with such finesse. 

The Little Drummer Girl (2018)

In a six-part spy thriller based on the John Le Carre novel, Pugh plays actress Charlie, who inadvertently becomes embroiled in international espionage. Available to rent in Canada from Sundance Now, this series focuses on heavy subject matter, but brings a very human perspective as Charlie grapples with the emotional weight of her work. Korean director, Park Chan-Wook, puts together a complex, slow-burn drama that takes some viewing effort but is worthwhile for the emotional payoff.

Fighting With My Family (2019)

One of the lighter films on the list, Florence shows her diversity in this comedy-drama penned by The Office (UK) writer Stephen Merchant. This warm and engaging story is based on actual events. Pugh plays Saraya, who has dreamed of becoming a WWE fighter since childhood training alongside her brother Zac. Family tensions run high when only one makes it to a professional training camp. The premise may seem odd, but the film is a great watch that has genuine, heartfelt emotion among the laughs. Watch out for a hilarious cameo from Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as himself. 

MidSommar (2019)

This bizarre and confrontational horror from director Ari Aster doesn’t work for everyone, but it will leave an impression. The bright sunlight that bathes this film leaves nowhere for expressions to hide, demonstrating the absolute fear and disbelief of central players as an idyllic retreat in Scandinavia goes awry. This movie is packed with extreme close-ups that show Florence’s expert acting, as the audience feels equally horrified at unfolding events. 

Was your favorite Florence Pugh pic on this list? Maybe you’d add Don’t Worry, Darling to this marathon? One thing is for certain: there is no slowing down for Florence. With upcoming roles in Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer, Dune: Part II and another collaboration with Lady Macbeth writer, Alice Birch, in the Netflix thriller, The Wonder, there are many Miss. Flo moments still to come. 

Sarah is a 27 year old MA Art History and Visual Studies student at Uvic. She loves writing about art, film and music. When she's not busy blogging or studying she loves to dance, practise yoga, visit galleries and cook yummy vegetarian food!