Have a Horrible Holiday with these Scary Festive Flicks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Halloween is long gone, and we wave hello to the festive season! The constant rotation and repetition of Hallmark movies and Love Actually can leave you longing for something less sweet. Maybe you’re an immutable horror fan just looking for new inspiration, or perhaps you’re full of the spirit of the season but wish to broaden your film selection beyond the “classics”. Return to the spooky side with these twists on festive film, each blending holiday themes with a darker, more gruesome mood! 

Dead End (France) (2003)

This film re-affirms that you should never take that creepy back-road shortcut. Heading home on Christmas eve, Frank Harrington (Ray Wise) takes a detour he regrets when he is led deep into the forest. Harrington and his family find themselves plunging into the woods in pursuit of a ghoulish woman in white. The film becomes a bone-chilling psychological thriller, where the lines between memory, fantasy and reality become blurred. Despite a low budget, the makers of Dead End show what can be achieved in horror with some skilled scripting and delivery. 

The Nightmare Before Christmas (US) (1993)

Of course, Tim Burton’s classic horror-cum-musical Halloween/Christmas extravaganza makes this list. Since its release, it has become a cult classic, with charming stop-motion animation, an infectious soundtrack by Danny Elfman and ghoulish but lovable characters.

Will it ever get a sequel? Unlikely. Despite Disney’s attempts during the early 2000s to produce a second instalment using CG animation, Burton and director Henry Selick quickly vetoed the idea. Burton’s protectiveness over this imaginative production has rendered it a standalone work; one that should be mandatory viewing on at least two popular holidays!

Sint (Netherlands) (2010)

Directed by Dick Maas, a dutch director known for his horror work, this film marked his return to the genre after producing De Light and Amsterdamned in the eighties. “Sinterklaas” is the legendary figure that dutch children await on the ever of December 5 for Saint Nicholas Day. In this film, set on the European holiday, Sint appears as a murderous bishop. He is ready to kidnap, and murder children on the naughty list-so you better watch out! This film is positively dripping with blood, gore and a borderline ridiculous central conceit, making it a silly, fun watch with friends!

Black Christmas (Canada) (1974) 

This film has been remade twice since the original, to varying degrees of success. The 2019 remake largely flopped amongst critics and received scathing reviews. Perhaps the original is best? In this 1970s classic, the plot focuses on a sorority house where three girls are left behind while their classmates head home for the break. Chaos ensues as they are stalked by a truly demented murderer during the holidays. With creepy, garbled phone calls from an unhinged killer, dark wit and some gore: this watch is one for old-school horror buffs. Viewers should be warned some profanity and effects haven’t aged too well. Still, this film has been re-appraised as one of the first seasonal slashers, with movies like the enduring Halloween franchise drawing inspiration from it (https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/10/3/17932802/black-christmas-horror-film-halloween-scream)

Rare Exports (Finland) (2010)

Another foreign title on the list, Rare Exports, is an unusual take on the Christmas family film. It starts as a cliched narrative, with a cute little boy, elves, and “treasure” to be found deep in the snow-covered mountains before descending into a bizarre horror about an unleashed Christmas demon. The story takes inspiration from the creepy mythology surrounding Santa Claus, providing him with a devilish origin story. This is a movie that feels deeply unsettling at times, with the atmosphere heightened by a setting in the dark, icy north. This film is hard to classify and is definitely more than a little “off-beat”, but it’s worth watching, if only as an antidote to the dozens of candy-coated portrayals of Father Christmas.

Silent Night (US) (2021)

There have been multiple films bearing this title, but the recent 2021 version boasts an all-star cast, including Keira Knightley, Matthew Goode and Lily-Rose Depp, atan apocalyptic holiday dinner. Nell (Knightley), Simon (Goode) and their son, Art (Roman Griffin Davis), attempt to host the ‘perfect’ festive gathering at their estate when things take a deathly turn. This black comedy adopts an apocalyptic premise, as it becomes clear that no one will survive! News reports show a dark cloud descending over the United Kingdom, and footage emerges of people bleeding horrendously from the eyes and ears, much to the dismay of the dinner guests. Another fun one to watch with friends, the film blends festive frivolity and absolute existential dread.

Sarah is a 27 year old MA Art History and Visual Studies student at Uvic. She loves writing about art, film and music. When she's not busy blogging or studying she loves to dance, practise yoga, visit galleries and cook yummy vegetarian food!