Global Brigadier: Mahbod (Mo) Tayeban

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Mo is a fourth year biopsychology student here at UVic. In addition to his studies, Mo is working as a Resident Education Community Leader (RECL) with UVic Residence Life and Education and just started as the new Vice President of Fundraising with the UVic Global Medical Brigades (GMB). This UVic chapter is a part of the largest student run “global health and sustainable development organization”, and has most recently focused on development programs in Central America.

Mo first joined the UVic GMB last year as a volunteer, participating in the semi annual medical brigades to Honduras. There, Mo helped established several sustainable health initiatives in their mobile clinics, which involved sorting and handing out medication in the pharmacy, shadowing doctors and dentists, helping deliver post consultation instructions, and providing communities members with preventative education, such as how to brush their teeth and hygiene. On the brigade, Mo also had the opportunity to visit an orphanage and interact with the children there. Mo describes the experience as being “amazing… very eye opening.” While looking to pursue a career in medicine, Mo said it was the incredible people he met and got to work with that made the trip so special.

After returning from his trip, Mo felt empowered and wanted to find more ways to get involved and therefore he decided to run for the VP of Fundraising position, which he was elected. Since then, Mo has been keeping busy brainstorming more fundraising efforts and helping plan for next February’s trip. As a member of the UVic chapter’s Board of Directors, Mo explains that their collective goal is to “come together to provide sustainable initiatives for communities currently living with very limited access to health and educational resources. We want to assist [community members] but also empower.”

For anyone looking for information, future fundraisers, or ways to get involved, please see the UVic Global Medical Brigades website and like their Facebook page!

Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.