Career

Four Ways to Start Influencing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

When I was a child and asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, my answer was doctor and artist. My elementary-aged classmate’s answers were pretty common: “Vet”, “Nurse”, “Policeman”, “Teacher”. In 2019, a study done by morning consult found that 86% of Gen Z surveyed said that they would be interested in creating content for money and that 54% of them would become an influencer. This is the new world we are living in, and young people are able to make a name and a decent profit from creating content on social media. Daunting as it may seem, pursuing influencing as a job has some major perks. Namely, you are your own boss, you are in charge of deciding what work you do, and you are able to get exposure to a multitude of industries. If you are thinking about possibly starting to influence, read on for some tips to help launch your brand.

Do your research!

Understand what kind of influencers are out there (yes, apparently there are different types), what types of social media platforms are available, and how trends, branding, aesthetics, etc. can be a part of your brand. While it may be easy to just start posting and hope for the best (a lá “Emily in Paris”) having a basic grasp on the more technical sides of influencing and marketing can help you post with the best understanding of things like the algorithm and your audience. 

A great place to start is by researching on Youtube, listening to Podcasts, and studying your favourite influencer’s accounts.

Identify your niche!

Figure out what your content niche is. Who is your audience? What does your personal brand stand for? What are your beliefs as a brand? Why do you do what you do? What is your mission as a brand? Once you have a clear idea of who your content is for, this can help your creative process when figuring out what content to post.

Look for inspiration.

Create a digital swipe folder! Utilize Pinterest, the Instagram save feature, Tumblr, etc. Look at what content inspires you and save it. Don’t plagiarize but keep these posts in an accessible place where you can revisit them for inspiration!

Create a media kit.

Once you have amassed an audience and are ready to start reaching out to brands make sure you have a media kit together. This helps show who you are pitching to what companies/ you have worked with before, prices for posts/stories, and helps them understand your personal brand.

Breaking into the influencing industry can seem daunting at first, but by taking small steps and looking at it in a more analytical way, you are sure to find success. Happy posting!

Alison is a third-year student at the University of Victoria pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature with a minor in Professional Communication. When she isn't planning her next big article you can find Ali in the dance studio, catching a wave in Tofino, browsing the Aritzia clearance rack, or crafting the perfect oat milk latte.