Food on UVic’s Campus: A Definitive Ranking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Feeling hungry between classes? Perhaps you are new to campus and unsure where to find the best snacks, or maybe you live on residence and want to take advantage of your meal plan funds. The UVic campus has many options for a quick bite, coffee, or a more substantial hot meal. Whether you plan to grab an early breakfast, or a leisurely dinner, some locations are definitely better than others.

As somebody with ample experience, both in residence and off-campus, I’m here to definitively rank all of the places to eat on UVic’s campus- from the great to the gruesome. Disclaimer: I’m still yet to try every place on campus, so don’t get mad if your fave didn’t make the list!

Honourable Mention: The MOD 

If you are a first year student living on residence this year, you should consider yourself lucky that you never had to be subjected to the horror that was the Modular Dining Facility. This was the primary dining hall for students living in residence during the construction of Building One. Speaking from experience: it was truly horrifying. 

First of all, The MOD was not a permanent building, rather a few portables put together with a less-than first class kitchen for staff to prepare the food. Not only was there very little selection for meals, but the meals often seemed to be prepared from frozen or contaminated with critters (allegedly they even stopped serving broccoli after students found worms in their food). Don’t even get me started on the bathrooms. For some examples of the horrors of the MOD, visit @mod.highlights on Instagram. The MOD is being deconstructed now, and to her I say good riddance. She will not be missed. 

BiblioCafe 

A cult classic, BiblioCafe serves as an epic study spot and a great place for a quick snack and drink between classes. They have a decent selection of food and drink, but I sincerely wish you luck finding a seat to study during exam season. The lines also run very long between classes, so make sure you budget lots of time so you don’t miss your class! I recommend the green tea matcha frappe or a London fog, accompanied by an oat fudge bar or pumpkin scone. 

Mac’s

Mac’s is a recent discovery of mine. Located in the MacLaurin building, Mac’s functions similarly to a Subway. You can build your own sandwich, wrap, or salad, and you can also pick up some hot soup or baked goods. This is a great spot if you’re looking for a fresher option on campus, but the downside is that the sandwich bar is only open for a few hours a day. 

Mystic Market

If you had asked me last year, I would have ranked this spot as the best place to eat on campus. Read the options to come to see why it’s now lower on my list. I adore this spot for its variety. From fresh tacos and burritos at Fresco, delicious noodles at Chopbox, and who could forget the fresh salads and smoothies at Booster Juice! Mystic is also one of my favourite spots to study. Like Mac’s Mac’s, the only downside is that most vendors are only open during the week, and have limited hours. 

Felicita’s

Fondly known as “Fel’s” to students, this pub is known for its cheap eats, wide variety of drinks and cocktails, as well as super fun events such as weekly karaoke and musical bingo. Located in the SUB, this is a great spot to meet with friends or get some studying done in a fun atmosphere. Due to its status as a licensed venue, Fel’s is 19+, though, and requires 2 pieces of ID to enter. 

Munchie Bar

I’m a total coffee nerd, so I HAD to include my favourite place for coffee on campus. Serving Kicking Horse coffee and baked goods from Victoria’s Bubby Rose’s bakery, the Munchie Bar is also run by students which makes it stand out. Unlike some of the other coffee places on campus, Munchie Bar employs actual trained baristas which makes for an all-around better coffee experience. Additionally, their sandwiches are super yummy and make a great lunch option. Not to mention the popcorn, which makes for a fun study snack or a great addition to a movie you may be catching at Cinecenta!

The Cove

We have reached the best place for food on campus! I am very jealous of those who live on campus this year, because this place is state of the art. The Cove has overthrown Mystic Market for me, because it has most of what is available there, and then some. Full disclosure, I’ve yet to try all of the menu options on offer, but I can definitely say that I would have killed to have access to a Shawarma bar and carving station whilst I was in residence! Plus, the breakfast options and dining area look killer. Well done, UVic, well done. 

So now you know some of the best places to eat on campus, you can finally satisfy the hunger that creeps up during those lengthy study sessions. While the food may not always be gourmet, some of these places are definitely diamonds in the rough to keep you satisfied.

Aleisha Woodman is the Social Media Director at the University of Victoria chapter of Her Campus. She is in charge of generating and overseeing posts on the Her Campus @ UVic Instagram and TikTok pages, as well as writing and editing articles. Aleisha is currently in her third year at the University of Victoria, majoring in Gender Studies and minoring in Journalism. She has received numerous scholarships and accolades for her academic achievement both before and during her time at UVic. Aleisha has been with Her Campus since 2022, working as a writer and editor before moving up to be the Social Media Director. While her published writing experience is limited to Her Campus at the moment, she hopes to expand her portfolio in the coming years with publications such as The Martlet here at UVic. Aleisha specializes in writing on topics surrounding music, pop culture, as well as global issues and social justice. When she’s not writing, Aleisha is a barista and a huge coffee nerd always practicing her latte art. She’s also a pop-culture fanatic (a fangirl, if you will) who will often be found listening to 5 Seconds of Summer and Phoebe Bridgers, as well as reading her favourite romance novels.