Confessions of a Collegiette(tm) Shopaholic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Have you been struck with the mid-semester budget blues? Living on a budget is both frustrating and unsatisfying at times.You want to shop, eat at the trendy restaurants downtown and have a few margaritas with the girls on the weekend but it can all add up to one hefty bill at the end of the month. And, if you’re like me, it’s usually on the student visa card with high interest waiting to destroy your bank account balance. Here are a few tips to avoid draining your bank account,so you can keep up with your fabulous life. 

Although, ‘style on a budget’ doesn’t seem that appealing to most of us students, second hand shops offer a happy medium where style is not sacrificed for price. Buying a cheap sweater, more often than not, ends with me exasperated as I try to cover up the hastily ripped seams. We’ve all been there. However, there is a happy medium where style is not sacrificed for price. Second hand shops are home to gently used and astoundingly well-priced brand name clothes. I’m not talking about the church thrift shop that sells your grandmothers old clothes. Second hand trend stores are booming with brand new or barely used clothes that are in fashion and affordable. They uphold strict standards for the clothes they sell, making sure they are in new condition and are at par with current trends. Bargain shopping is a whole new way to create a wardrobe that fits your personal style without breaking the bank. No clue where to start? 

A great example in Victoria is The Patch. It’s a retro-chick clothing store that suits even the lowest budget. This store has something for everyone, from accessories and little black dresses to your “kick back on the beach jeans”. The shelves are stacked with brand names such as Guess, Lululemon, Dynamite, Silver, Talula and many more. Satisfaction guaranteed! 

Second, cut back on the pricey meals at restaurants. Eating out in general is a bank buster and not great for your health, as most university students indulge when eating out. If you’re looking for a break from cooking, find local places to eat with quality food and reasonable prices.Sushi is an inexpensive meal with nutritious benefits. Most sushi rolls are under 9$, low calorie, low fat and high in protein. It’s good for you and your wallet. If sushi is not your thing, try Azuma, which serves wholesome food. Bistros have great fresh food and cater to a lower budget. You can always find a meal under 10$. 

Finally, the classic weekend dilemma: what to drink. Buying any kind of liquor from a bar comes with a high price tag. My most important tip is to stay away from are buying drinks at clubs or bars. The alcohol costs almost 5 times as much as it would if you were to buy it from a liquor store. Get more bang for your buck and drink before going out.

One of my favourite drinks is wine. There are so many amazing cheap wines available; it’s all about finding a taste that suits you. If you love a sweet flavour, go for a light and fruity blush wine. Try the Carlo Rossi Blush at $13.99 for a generous 1.5 L at a BCL this weekend! On the other end, you might prefer something a little stronger with a more intense flavour (and a higher alcohol percentage).  If that’s the case, I recommend Peller Estates Proprietors Reserve Cabernet Merlot priced at $8.99. It’s a long name with a lot of flavour. Not too bitter, not too sweet, and the perfect amount of tang.