Black and White Diana Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

I am still learning and experimenting with my little Diana mini camera. I am finding that anaologue photography is really growing on me. Anytime we have a sunny day I think ‘OMG I need to grab the camera and take a few shots!’ or ‘Woot! A chance to use my low ISO film’. 

I have learned that the lower the ISO,  speed of the film, the more light the film needs. So now I have less wasted exposures! I have also found a great chart that helps you to decide what ISO you need based on weather conditions.

ISO/ASA 100: Daylight, good strong sunny days, beachy days, snow on the mountains days.
ISO/ASA 200: Overcasty days, and is a good compromise.
ISO/ASA 400: General use, sports days, rainy days.
ISO/ASA 800: Evenings, sunsets, inside with a flash.
ISO/ASA 1600: This is getting harder to come by, but is the bare minimum I’d use for rock concerts, night clubs etc, you may not even need to flash with this one.
 (Chart courtesy of Lomography magazine)

The shots that I am including in this post were taken back in first semester during the Rifflandia festival. I had yet to fully understand ISO or even how the little camera worked but a couple of these images were just so cute, I had to share them. The reason it has taken me so long to get the film processed is that I originally believed I would have the time  learn to use the darkroom at UVic (this did not happen). I also could not find a place in Victoria that would process black and white film.

I finally discovered Prism Photofinishing at 791 Fort Street. This place is amazing! Not only willl they cross-process your film, use the opposite chemical necessary to process the film creating fun effects, but they understand that Diana cameras create a different type of image and do not autocorrect your negatives. All the other processing shops in Victoria from London Drugs to Black’s had to send my black and white film far and wide to be developed or just could not meet my needs.

Clare Walton is a third year Sociology, Social Justice, and Journalism student at the University of Victoria. Growing up in Canada, India, Guyana, and Indonesia she has seen the world. Her exposure to different cultures and practices has made her keen to hear people’s stories. Clare has been a news editor and reporter for various high school and university papers.