This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

When I was 17 years old, I had tea with a friend named Doreen. She was retired and lived in a beautiful home that strongly resembled Anne of Green Gables’ house. It could only be described as “fairy tale-esque”.

My reason for visiting Doreen at her darling house was not only to visit with my dear friend but also for some fashion advice. This gentle woman happened to have been trained in the art of colour. She could match colours to skin, eye, and hair tones and discover what colours are most complimentary to each person.

Everyone knows someone who wears colours that just don’t look good on them. For myself, I cannot wear red or black. I either look sick or like a vampire. It amazed me that I didn’t realize this, though, until I visited with Doreen, a professional colourist who warned me against those colours for those very reasons.

Doreen’s method of sorting through the various colours and shades began with a mirror and four shades of white which represented the various tones: spring, summer, fall and winter.

One by one, she would place the white clothes against my chest so I could see in the mirror. Of these four shades of white, one brightened up my face unlike the rest. It was the blue-toned white. My colour palette was summer.

After discovering what season I suited, Doreen pulled out the summer colours, which all had blue tones in them. We went through the stack of colours and I found out that I particularly suited magenta, electric blue, and sea foam green.

Palettes from left to right, top to bottom: Autumn, Spring, Summer and Winter

After saying goodbye to Doreen that day I shopped with a new eye for colour. I no longer picked up red and black clothing and started buying a lot more blue, green and pink. I told my mom about my experience and she said she too had gotten her colours done and for the last twenty years had purchased clothes according to her palette.

At school, I could tell that most kids had not gotten their colours done because they were wearing colours that by no means suited them. The colours they had on made them look tired and worn, and, worst of all, they were unaware.

When I told my friends about colourists, they had no idea what I was talking about. This got me wondering whether colourists are a thing of the past. Why aren’t they popular if they are so helpful? Like paying attention to what looks good with our body shapes, I think we should also pay attention to what colours suit us.

I had a great experience with my colourist and my closet’s suitability to my colouration has noticeably improved. I am constantly told that I look happier and healthier than I used to in the past and it is all because the colours I wear lighten up my face!

In a culture so obsessed with fashion, wouldn’t it be helpful for people to recognize what they actually look good in?

What do you think? Should colourists be brought back in style? Leave your comments below.

Carly Grabher is in her fifth year of Creative Writing at The University of Victoria with a minor in Gender Studies. She is the Campus Correspondent of the UVic chapter and has been a contributing writer and editor with Her Campus for four years. In addition to writing articles, Carly formerly danced and worked at Canada's National Ballet School, redesigned the website for The University of Victoria Faculty Association, and worked as the communications and events assistant with UVic's Co-operative Education Program and Career Services.
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.