This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

The long-awaited moment has finally come: Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour is now in theatres, as of last Thursday, October 12th!

Any Swifties who have been unlucky in not getting tickets to the Eras Tour are now able to experience it digitally by attending the blockbuster film. And let me tell you, it’s the next best thing. 

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour offers the same immersive experience as an actual concert. Whether it’s dressing up as your favourite Taylor Swift era, trading friendship bracelets, or screaming fun chants with other swifties in the theatre, all Taylor Swift fans are sure to have the time of their lives! I for one can attest to this, as I was able to attend the film last Friday, and it did not disappoint. 

I have to admit that the atmosphere of the theatre played a huge role in the film’s magic. The minute I walked into the building, there was a sea of 1989 Taylors’, You Belong With Me Taylors’, and Speak Now Taylors’. Basically, you name the era, and one person was sure to be dressed as it. However, the atmosphere didn’t just stop at the costumes. Throughout the film, the entire crowd was standing from their seats; one moment dancing to songs like 22, Shake it Off, and Bejewelled, the next sobbing and swaying to songs like Marjorie and All Too Well (10 Min Version). 

The spiritual experience of the crowd almost made everyone completely forget that there were missing songs from the setlist like Cardigan and ‘Tis the Damn Season. But it’s understandable that there were so many songs taken out, as it would’ve been a three-and-a-half hour long movie if they weren’t!

The CGI visuals were another major stand-out in the film. Along with everyone else in the theatre I couldn’t help but be mesmerized by the reputation set, which included a vivid 3D snake visual to signify the start of the era. The Folklore and Evermore sets were also huge in terms of visuals, more specifically in choreography. Watching Willow with its witchy costumes made it feel as if I were watching a live music video, and its enchanting choreography made me feel as if there was a spell cast on me. And I can’t forget The Last Great American Dynasty– its lavish, Victorian dresses transported me back in time and I didn’t want to leave! 

The acoustic set– or surprise songs, as Taylor Swift fans call it– had to be one of my favourite moments from the film. The intimacy of Taylor singing to the crowd and using only her guitar and piano could be felt through the screen. It helps too, that the surprise songs chosen for the movie were Our Song and You’re On Your Own Kid. What a perfect combination to sing and then cry to.

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour is definitely worth the watch– and a second, third, and fourth watch! I can say for certain that I will be one of the first people in line if the opportunity arises to see the film again.

Marlee Alexander is a third-year writing major at UVic, with a minor in history. Outside of her studies and Hercampus, Marlee had the opportunity to work for Cliffs of Fundy, a non-profit organization in her small hometown in Nova Scotia, where she organized interviews with locals and wrote pieces talking about their personal relationship with the land. When Marlee is not studying or working on her writing, Marlee loves to read, travel, hang out with friends, and listen to Taylor Swift on a loop.