This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Photo source

As university students, our lives consist of going to class, complaining about assignments, procrastinating, and thinking of the next moment we can just relax. End of first semester is approaching fast, and assignments, missed readings, term papers, and finals start to weigh heavy on us. But not to worry! We’ll get through it together, so to help here are some tips to help you stay productive and manage your workload. 

1. Build Yourself a Better To-do List

For some, there’s nothing more satisfying than checking off a list of tasks they’ve completed. Others may find that staring at a list daunting and anxiety provoking.

Either way, a to-do list is asset when confronting all your tasks. I have found that lists keep me accountable. Try making a master list that sets long term and short -term goals to help visualize where your focus should be. 

2. Schedule, Schedule, Schedule!

Photo Source

You know those planners that you got every year in high school? It’s time to get your own and put it to use! As tedious as it may be seem, scheduling tasks will help make your days and weeks go by more smoothly.  Whether using the notes on your phone or an actual planner it’s important to divide your time. Try allotting time for studying, appointments, clubs, and socializing. Knowing exactly what’s going on ahead of time gives you time to prepare yourself for the unexpected – so if someone asks you, “Netflix and chill?” you can politely decline.

3. Start a Routine (and stick with it) 

Photo Source

Similar to having a bedtime routine or starting a new fitness routine, if you don’t stick with it you won’t see any results. They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit, so simply stick to your schedule and it will become routine. This may mean routinely going to your favourite study spot on campus, or having a consistent plan of how to efficiently get rough your day. Either way, invest time into finding a study routine that works for you.

4. Prevent Procrastination

Photo Source

Don’t put off for tomorrow what you can do today. The most effective way to deal with procrastination is to prevent it. Big tasks, like term papers or studying for finals, are overwhelming and anxiety provoking. Start small – even if it’s just opening a textbook and staring at the page, it’s a start. Plus, once you’ve started it’s more likely you’ll keep going and this only gets you closer to finishing.

5. Put the Phone Down 

Or any other device. I’m definitely guilty of being too preoccupied with my phone. Think of all the minutes you spend scrolling through Instagram, Twitter, and Yik Yak. Or think of all the time consumed replying to texts. Now imagine how much could knock off your to-do list if those media minutes were put towards schoolwork. Do yourself a favour and silence or turn off your devices.  

6. Learn How to Say No

Photo Source

For all my people pleasers out there: stop spreading yourself too thin. I’ve definitely overcommitted myself too many times, and found that I was making time for everyone else but myself and my work. Learn how to say no, and dedicate your time to tasks that you truly need to get done.

7. Take Care of Yourself

Photo Source 

Try not to run yourself down. No matter how busy you are, your performance is compromised when you’re not feeling yourself. Make sure to eat well, get an adequate amount of sleep, and take time to just relax. It’s much more efficient to tackle tasks when you’re refreshed and well rested. It’s too tough to focus when you’re hungry, sleep deprived, or lethargic. Do yourself a favour and have some “me” time once in awhile. 

Samantha Henry is a Feature Writer for HCUCF and is a junior double majoring in Journalism and Creative Writing. As a music festival enthusiast, she loves to write about music and how it influences our generation.
Elizabeth is an undergraduate psychology student at the University of Victoria. She is a lover of the performing arts, the Avengers, comfort food, and tall tall shoes. Hailing from Ontario, Elizabeth looks forward to soaking up the West Coast sunshine, sipping Flat Whites, and getting to know the Greater Victoria community.