6 Ways to Let ‘em Down Easy (In Any Situation!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Sometimes it’s hard to turn down someone who is interested in you, especially if you don’t want to hurt their feelings. Here are a bunch of different methods to keep in mind the next time you deal with that difficult situation!

1. Lie about your age. 

This only works if he has a few years on you, but you can definitely pull off the “I lied about my birthday when I made Facebook” fib on an app like Tinder, or when someone older hits on you.

2. Lie about having a S.O. (make sure you keep this act up for the rest of the night, though!).

This is a really easy excuse to use when you’re at a club or out anywhere else. The simple, “I have a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner” or “I’m seeing someone right now, sorry!” works wonders and shows you’re loyal. However, make sure not to get too friendly with other people in your admirer’s presence! Abort mission and retreat if they catch you!

3. Sandwich method.

If this is someone you’ve already been out with and you realize you’re not really feeling good vibes from but don’t want to crush their soul, use the sandwich method: make the first and last thing you say something positive, with the middle statement holding the real message you’re trying to get across. For example, “I’ve had a lot of fun with you on the past couple of dates but I don’t think we’re compatible, to be honest. You’re a really cool girl though!”

4. Stop beating around the bush.

This is one method you might be dreading but it works, and many guys, gals, and in- betweens , appreciate this! This way neither of you are wasting your time, and it doesn’t have to come off too harsh either. You can say, “I enjoyed your company, but I’m not going to lie   I don’t think it’s going to work out.” Do note that this method may require more explaining.

5. Fade out.

This isn’t exactly the nicest way to go about it, as the other person may take it as playing hard to get or may not get the message, yet it works as there is no real confrontation involved. It’s super easy too; take longer to reply, don’t ask questions, and give shorter responses. Eventually, you’ll have faded out and hopefully they will stop trying.

6. Ghost.

If all else fails, RUN! (Or just block and delete them from social media, don’t see them in person, and hope no one mentions their name ever again).

Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.