This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

As students, we understand that life can be stressful. Often, when we become focused on our busy lives, we forget that there are other people around us who are feeling the same way. With midterms quickly approaching, we have composed a list of five easy ways you can be kind to a stranger today. Not only can you brighten someone else’s day, but you’ll feel good, too. When you feel happy, it makes the people around you feel appreciated, and happier, too. Let’s work together to spread some smiles!

1. Pay it forward with coffee

If there’s one place students spend a lot of their time, it’s standing in line for coffee. One way to really brighten someone’s day—and break the coffee line tension—is to pay for someone else’s drink along with yours. There are two ways to do this: either leave an extra $4–5 at the counter and let the cashier know it’s for someone who needs it, or turn to the person behind you and offer to cover their bill. It might be the start of a beautiful friendship! If they say no, give your barista a nice tip instead. Either way, you’ve done something good.

2. Compliments (for extroverts)

Maybe you don’t drink coffee or maybe you’re broke, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t more ways to be kind! Nothing makes another person feel better than a genuine compliment. If you really like a guy’s shoes, tell him! Did the girl who sits in front of you in English 147 say something really insightful? Tap her on the shoulder and let her know you thought so. It’s a quick and easy way to be positive, and possibly to make friends.

3. Positivity notes (for introverts)

Does the thought of walking up to a stranger and complimenting their outfit terrify you? Have no fear—we have the perfect way for you to still spread kindness. Instead of telling someone how you feel, why not write it? Use a Post-it note to stick your message anywhere you like! Put simple statements such as “You look beautiful today!” on the bathroom mirror, or “You’ve got this!” on the door leading into an exam. This can give someone the affirmation they didn’t know they needed.

4. Offer to share your umbrella

Have you ever been walking around Victoria on a normally sunny day and all of a sudden it feels like you’re underwater? I have definitely been there, and it’s so much worse when you leave your umbrella at home. If you see somebody going the same way as you, offer to share for as long as you’re going that way. Don’t feel bad if they decline, but if they say yes, then maybe you’ve made a new friend!

5. Hold the door open

This is a simple, yet effective way to make someone else’s day a little bit more positive. You are already opening the door for yourself, so why not save someone else the effort? While you’re at it, flash a smile to the person walking through. The worst that could happen is you are a second too early, and both of you experience a moment of awkwardness as they jog to catch up. We’ve all been there.

Stepping out of your comfort zone and taking the time to be kind can be difficult when you’re living a busy student life, but it’s so rewarding. A small act of kindness could be the thing that changes someone’s day from good to bad. It’s a story for them to tell their friends, and it’s a way to inspire more kindness across campus, and even across the world. What are some things that you do to be kind? Chime off in the comments.

Emma is a second-year graduate student at the University of Victoria. She's a pop-culture-obsessed filmmaker and aspiring video game designer. When she isn't writing for Her Campus or burning her eyes from staring at a screenplay that just isn't working, she's probably at home playing video games, watching movies (it's technically homework, she's studying them) or mindlessly scrolling through her TikTok feed.
Zoe Jensen

U Vic '22

Zoe is a first year student at UVic studying towards a major in Psychology. Her interests include binge watching "Friends" for the fifth time, and finding the perfect tree to sit under on campus. You can always find Zoe with a cup of coffee in hand and looking for the nearest bookstore.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison