5 Tips for Throwing the Perfect Surprise Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Whether it’s a birthday, anniversary, baby shower, or promotion, we are never going to run out of reasons to celebrate lifes many milestones. And what better way to congratulate a loved one than to throw them a surprise party? I don’t know anyone that doesn’t love the ego boost that comes from having your friends and family secretly plan a special event just for you. So without further ado, here are few tips and tricks on how to throw the perfect surprise party!

1. Lists are your best friend

Whether you’re throwing a large party, or a smaller get together, there’s going to be a hundred and one things to keep track of. Organization is key – you don’t want to end up struggling to bake a cake 2 hours before the party starts because you forgot to order one ahead of time (a.k.a me last week). So make sure you have a list of everything you need to throw a successful party before putting the plan in action. Put a star next to time-sensitive jobs that need to be done right away (such as securing a venue, or inviting that one busy friend who always needs a week’s notice).

2. Put your secret-keeping skills to the test

A surprise party loses all purpose and meaning if it doesn’t have the element of surprise – something that’s quite obvious in theory, but much harder to execute. So if the subject of your party has access to your Facebook account, for example, it’s best to not have a group chat titled ‘Surprise party for _____’ pop up every now and then. Another sure way to keep them from knowing what you’re up to is to plan a distraction for them, on the day of. Have their roommate or partner take them out for a drink, or even grocery shopping – anything that seems natural, and not like an obvious distraction – while you’re setting up the main event. One trick that works especially well for birthdays is to have the party the day before the person’s actual birthday – they’ll never suspect a thing!

3. Keep an eye on the guest list

Vetting the guest list is crucial in order to ensure a fun, drama-free party. Try not to invite that one couple that’s constantly fighting, or the prying aunt who needs to micromanage your every move. On the other hand, it’s also important to make sure you haven’t left anyone out by accident – this step will help you avoid awkward conversations in the future. You’ll also need to make sure that your venue is large enough to comfortably accommodate all your guests, so plan accordingly!

4. Pick an appropriate theme

A surprise bachelorette party is (hopefully) going to look a lot different than a surprise baby shower. Establishing a theme is essential in setting the tone for any event. Are you planning to have a low-key sit-down dinner party? Or do you want your guests to be on the dance floor, getting hammered? It also helps to take the subject’s interests into account. For example, if they’re really into Harry Potter, that could be your theme. Here’s a couple of recipes for butterbeer you can try out!

5. Grab some friends and get creative!

Nothing beats the look on someone’s face when they walk into a room covered in decorations, and full of loved ones waiting to celebrate their special day. The appearance of the room/venue plays a crucial role in creating that wow factor, and setting it up is possibly the most fun part of the entire planning process. Whether you’re going for a classic streamers-and-balloons approach, or you have a specific theme in mind, decorating is always more fun and fruitful when you have your friends helping out. One neat thing to have is a photo corner – a blank wall that you frame with streamers or other décor, where people can take silly pictures against a nice backdrop.

I hope these tips help you plan an awesome surprise party – and don’t forget the confetti!

Brishti is a third year student at the University at Victoria majoring in History and minoring in Economics. In her spare time, she likes to read, write, play D&D, and pet every dog she meets! She belongs to several different fandoms, including (but not limited to) Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Gilmore Girls and Supernatural. Her current favourite book is Haruki Murakami's 'Norwegian Wood', and she aspires to be an investigative journalist someday.
Ellen is a fourth year student at the University of Victoria, completing a major in Writing and a minor in Professional Writing: Editing and Publishing. She is currently a Campus Correspondent for the UVic chapter, and spends most of her free time playing Wii Sports and going out for breakfast. She hopes to continue her career in magazine editing after graduation, and finally travel somewhere farther than Disneyworld. You can follow her adventures @ellen.harrison