15 Ways to Beat the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Vic chapter.

Winter blues are a real thing. Even though our winters here on the island aren’t so bad compared to the rest of Canada, seasonal sadness affects us all. Here are 15 ways to conquer this winter!

1. Enter our giveaway!

There are some sweet prizes up for grabs, so be sure to enter! The giveaway ends January 18 at 11:59pm (and you can steal inspo for your post from this article!)

2. Break a sweat.

Getting your blood pumping can at least serve as a distraction from the blues until your mood is back up again!

3. Add colour to your plate.

Just because the weather and the environment are dull and dreary doesn’t mean your food should be!

4. Find a new coffee shop.

It’s soothing and relaxing, and a great way to de-stress after a long day.

5. Pamper yourself.

Paint your nails once a week with beautiful, bright colours, or look up DIY facemasks online and rejuvenate your pores cheaply! 

6. Watch Elf.

Even though it’s not Christmas anymore, watch it anyway because it’s a happy movie and it will bring your spirits up! Re-visit other childhood favourite movies while you’re at it.

7. Look at cute animals!

Adorable animals are sure to boost your spirits.

8. Hang with your friends.

Whether you already hang out every day, or you need to get in touch after not talking for a while, socializing really helps beat seasonal sadness.

9. Get creative.

Take some time away from books, screens, and classes by going on a nature walk, doodling, making art, or playing board games.

10. Blast some tunes!

Dance around your room and shake off your stress!

11. Refresh your wardrobe.

You’ll dread everything slightly less if you look cute doing it.

12. Rearrange your room.

This will get you in a “let’s get down to business ” kind of mood.

13. Change your routine.

It can be something small like changing up your face wash, or something bigger like always reading while eating instead of watching TV or Netflix.

14. Get more rest.

Winter days are always so dark that your body thinks it’s going into hibernation. Be sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep each night to be well rested.

15. Embrace the cold.

Instead of avoiding the cold, get together with some friends and take a walk in your stylish winter wear, and maybe snap a few photos!

Born and raised in Victoria, British Columbia, Emily Mall is currently in her fourth year at the University of Victoria pursuing an undergraduate degree in Art History + Visual Studies with a minor in Film Studies. In her free time, she can be found sending memes to her friends, playing with her two tabby cats, or sipping a chai tea latte. Emily previously served as the Social Media Director for HerCampus UVic.
Femi Tunde-Oladepo is in her final year at the University of Victoria where she is studying at the Peter B. Gustavson School of Business. After her undergrad, Femi hopes to read law and master French, Spanish and Italian. She is an active volunteer in her community and enjoys working with the Rotaract Club on campus. Having filled numerous notebooks as a child, Femi adores writing — especially short stories. She likes to dance (spontaneously), listen to all genres of music, laugh loudly and be the sassiest person in a room. In her spare time, Femi likes to window shop online, go for runs and reorganize spaces. One day, Femi hopes to perfect the art of soft pretzels. Follow her on Instagram @femzieb to see her attempts at being artsy and pensive.