This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

The beginning of the winter semester not only signifies the return to school but also the pressure to stick to one`s New Year’s Resolutions (good luck!).  For some of us, that entails keeping to a work-out routine that we can squeeze into our busy school day or give us a break from seemingly endless studying.

If you are like me, my fellow collegiettes, a ‘routine workout’ doesn’t feel entirely motivating. Plus, you secretly wonder whether or not you’re correctly targeting those muscles. But then you stop reading for a second to look out of the window at Robarts and there’s your answer: the drop-in programs at the Athletic Centre. These workout regimens come at no extra charge as a U of T student and are provided by the Athletic Centre and the Hart House Gym.

At any rate, these classes are fantastic. They have flexible schedules and the same programs are available at both locations (so if you’re in a Con. Hall lecture during a High N’ Low class at the Athletic Centre, Hart House might offer it at another time or on a different day). Also, the variety of classes caters specifically to what you want from your workout (for example, some prefer to build up muscle on the lower body, while others love the rush of high cardio).

Personally speaking, I would highly recommend Zumba. The instructors are incredibly motivating as they dance to high energy music that we’re accustomed to hearing at a club or on the radio. There is absolutely no prior dance knowledge that is required, just be prepared to move your body in the oddest of ways.  Since everyone is moving in much of the same way, your intimidation will quickly subside.

As fun as this sounds, don’t be fooled. Assume that the words ‘drop-in program’ means leisure and you’re in for a surprise. If the first few classes don’t show you just how out of shape you might be, then the aches that you will wake up with the following morning will be a reminder (I could barely lift my arms without feeling pain).

The first few classes will show you just how out of shape you might be, and this applies to even the ‘lightest’ of programs (don’t underestimate the power of yoga!)  Even though the results won’t be immediate, you’ll be able to see some toned areas from the hard work you put into it. More importantly, it’s a healthy habit to keep up, no matter what age you are.  Besides, who says you can’t feel both smart and sexy as a U of T student?

Tip

• Bring light clothing. Heavy or loose clothing will weigh you down
  • Bring lots of water to refresh yourself in between routines
  • Stay committed! The results will come if you stick it through!
  • Remember, the registered programs come at an extra cost and involve other sorts of activities
  • Most importantly, HAVE FUN!  This was designed to feel less like a work out, and the group setting is always encouraging!
Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.