Life > Experiences

What to pack for a backpacking adventure in South America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Sanghmitra Khanna

Travelling around South America has always been a dream of mine – exploring diverse cities, meeting different people, and discovering culture. 

For months, I had been planning for this big adventure; the things I would bring, the places I would visit…,but when the time finally came to pack my bags, I was lost. 

What should I bring? What should I leave behind? And especially, how would I manage to fit everything for three months travel into a single backpack? 

Over the course of three months, I would travel through opposite climates and demographics, from snowy hikes in Peru to sweltering heat in the Amazon, from partying in Brazil to lounging on Colombian beaches. Each destination required a completely different wardrobe. 

I didn’t want to splurge on fancy or expensive travel gear so I shopped primarily for a backpack that fit my budget. 

As I set off, I quickly realized how important packing wisely and efficiently really is. 

Here is a list of items I recommend to bring for your backpacking trip. 

Bags
  • 60L backpack
    • The most important item. This backpack will contain your life during the months of your trip, and choosing the right size can make a big difference. For me 60L was the perfect size – large enough to fit all my belongings, and light enough to manage walking distances with it on my back. 
  • Smaller backpack
    • Essential for day trips or hikes to avoid lugging around your larger backpack.  
  • Money belt
    • A must – especially in crowded areas like Brazil during carnival festivities. 
  • Tote bag
    • For day trips to the beach or casual outings 
Everywhere
  • Passport 
  • Power charger, AirPods, iPhone charger, Camera and Kindle
    • Great to stay entertained during long bus rides
  • Universal plug adapter
  • Air tag
    • My friend and I relied on it to keep track of each other during carnival in Rio, so we wouldn’t need to carry two phones with us. 
    • Also great to track your belongings. 
health and safety
  • Mosquito spray
    • For protection against mosquitoes and diseases like Dengue fever (which is ramping in Brazil). 
  • Locker
    • To keep your personal belongings secured in hostels. 
  • Emergency cash
  • Vaccination certificate
    • Make sure to bring your vaccination certificates (Yellow Fever especially) if you are travelling to certain countries where it’s mandatory for entry. I learned this the hard way when I left mine at home and ended up stuck in Brazil for several days before I could sort it out. 
organization and comfort
  • Packing cubes
    • To keep your clothes organized and facilitate easy packing and unpacking 
  • Ear plugs
    • After sleepless nights buses and dorms due to people snoring next to me, I invested in these – they are life-savers. 
    • Some hostels also have them for free at the reception. 
  • Sunscreen and sunglasses 
clothing
  • Comfortable leggings
    • Perfect for long night bus rides. Most buses blast the air conditioning all night long, so even when it’s warm outside, you will freeze. 
    • Also perfect for hiking. 
  • Underwear – 14 pairs
  • Bras – 3 pairs
  • Socks – 10 pairs
  • Flip Flops
    • This is a must – for when you are by the beach, but also for hostel showers
  • Sneakers
    • For site seeing, casual outings, and parties 
  • Running shoes
    • I prefer these to hiking boots. They are easier to transport and I find them more comfortable. 
  • Flowy pants – 3 pairs
  • T-shirts – 2
  • Sweater – 2 
  • Pyjama – 1 pair 
  • Shorts – 3 pairs 
  • Skirts – 2 
  • Dress – 2 
  • Bikinis – 3
  • Waterproof outdoor jacket
    • We did the Salkantay Trek to the Machu Picchu during the rainy season, so this definitely was a must.
    • You can also rent most of these pieces of clothing in Cusco directly
toiletry
  • Toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner, body soap
  • Microfiber towel
    • They don’t take up any space and dry quickly. 
  • Beach towel
  • Deodorant, razor, pills (Tylenol), hairbrush, make-up, micellar water, cotton pads, perfume 
  • Hand-sanitizer
    • Many toilets do not have soap or running water. 
  • Toilet paper
    • Most public bathrooms do not have toilet paper
Romanne Redouté

U Toronto '25

I'm a fourth-year university student at the University of Toronto, completing a double major in Economics and Political Science. I am French and Canadian, after having lived 14 years in Bordeaux, I moved to Toronto for University. When I'm not studying, you'll find me out and about, exploring new places. Whether it's wandering around Buenos Aires during my semester abroad or checking out cool spots in Toronto, I'm always up for an adventure.