The Unwelcome Guests Return

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

The Cold and Flu are Back to Haunt Us

Once again the unwelcome guests are back to greet us. One of the worst things that can happen to a student during the midterm season is coming up with the flu or a severe cold. Written below is a list of my top four advice to prevent getting the flu or a cold this season:

1.     Sticky Hands:

Remember those sticky hands we used to play with as a kid? They would gather every single dust and hair around our home. Imagine your hands as being these Sticky Hands, and instead of dust or hair, imagine several germs and bacteria sticking to your hands. You touch the subway pole, that gum under the table, shake hands with friends and co-workers, write with a pencil that has literally been everywhere and anywhere. It’s disgusting. My best advice is to keep your hands away from your face especially from your mouth or eyes which can allow the germs to easily enter your body. Best thing to do is to keep an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with you all the time.

2.     Praise Hot Lemon Water:

If you feel a cold coming up and are starting to get an itchy, sore throat, mix some freshly squeezed lemon juice, bottled lemon juice works too, along with some honey. The honey and the lemon will quickly soothe your irritated throat. If you like, you can add some cinnamon powder in your drink in order to give your immune system a boost.

3.     Boost Your System with Essential vitamins:

You can either take the regular vitamin pills in order to retain a strong immune system. Yet, there are also several healthy and delicious foods that are rich in these essential vitamins. My favourite would probably be sprouts. I tend to grow my own sprouts at home, including: Alfalfa, Mung bean, Wheat, Red Clover, and Basil. They take about a week to grow and you can eat them with a sandwich, in your salad, or simply mixed with some salt and lemon juice. Other vegetables and fruits can also contain many of these essential vitamins. Unfortunately, Mr. Pringles and Toblerone still don’t contain these vitamins, but I’m still crossing my fingers that someday they will!

4.     Cold-Fx and Flu shots

The most common method to prevent the flu this season is to get the flu shot. Although there is still a debate going on whether these shots are as effective to be as told. If the shot is a no-no for you then you can try Cold-Fx pills. The pills will not make a cold or a flu go away, but instead boost your immune system, therefore, lowering your chances of actually getting a cold or the flu.

Let’s say you have been studying nonstop for next week’s midterm and have been super cautious, yet your friend accidentally coughs in your face and you’re down the next day. I have listed my best advice for you to not only cope with the flu and/or cold but also ace that midterm:

1.     Spicy Food Will Be Your Best Friend

If you start to feel congested, grab some spicy food. The hot food will open your nostrils and make you feel a little more relieved, so you can now focus on your studying while being able to breathe properly.

2.     Medications

If it seems to be a simple cold or the flu, take some on-the-shelf medication, but if your symptoms last longer than a few days, you should make a visit to your family doctor.

3.     Drink Lots of Fluids and Chicken Broth

The fluids, including warm tea (especially green tea that boosts your immune system) and freshly squeezed juices, will allow your system to soak up several vitamins to help fight your flu and cold. Warm Chicken Broth will also calm your congestion and itchy throat.

4.     REST!

No matter how much Buckley’s you drink, and how much Indian food you choke down, you need to rest. Your body needs to be able to restore itself and that will not happen quickly if you are constantly pulling all-nighters for your midterm. Create a schedule where you study for a short while and rest for about 20 minutes. Resting does not mean going on Facebook or Instagram, you should lie down and close your eyes, allow your body to relax.

5.     It’s Just a Midterm

At the end of the day, you must realize this is only a midterm. If you feel extremely sick, you should get a doctor’s note and reschedule your test date. If you complete a test while being extremely sick, it will only be an evaluation on how well you are at answering questions while having a high fever, an itchy throat, watery eyes, and a runny nose.