Ultimate Guide to Winged Eyeliner: Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

What is winged liner to you? Is it your enemy? Do you not dare to pursue such quests? Maybe it’s a little less dramatic than that… but answer me this, your class is at 9am (in U of T time, that gives you till 9:10am) and it takes you 20 minutes to get to class and it’s 8:35, could you dive into the jet black abyss and stroll out looking fierce by 8:37?

I would, and I already do, son!

Come, follow me, I cordially invite you to be on my level. Let them all whisper as you walk past, “Her eyeliner game is so on point.” So what’s in my makeup bag? What do I use to get such a slick jet black wing? I’ve honestly tried everything, and I always come back to this treasure.

The Lineur Intense liquid liner by L’Oreal is legendary to me. Only a few things come close! The reason I love it so much is that felt tip which is very thin and beautifully precise. The felt tip is so much better than a brush tip because brush tips are too flimsy. Felt tips also absorb product so that there is an even distribution, rather than brush tips where globs of products simply coat the bristles and make a mess.

The consistency of the product is nice and thin but it is still very rich in colour. I’ve tried some liners that are thinner but there isn’t enough black pigment to give a rich black line so it just ends up looking gray.

It has very good wear as well, it stays on even though it’s not marketed as waterproof. My eyes always water when I yawn, so during my morning classes I check to see how my liner is doing, and it still looks flawless.

There are a few similar liners that I really enjoy, however, they are a bit too expensive. For instance, the Lancome Art Liner is pretty much the exact same liner, just about 27 dollars more expensive. Plus, you can always find sales and coupons for L’Oreal products. Why pay more for the same product?

Steer Clear! Here’s a liner that’s recieved a lot of hype lately: Benefit’s They’re Real Push Up Liner. I was really excited about this, being born into the “They’re Real!” family is the cosmetic equivalent of being born into the royal family. The eyeliner claims to give perfect long wearing matte-black eyeliner, which was a selling point for me. The only thing I’m not crazy about when it comes to the L’Oreal liner, is how it has a slightly glossy finish, I usually prefer a matte black finish.

Literally, so nit-picky.

So I tried the Benefit liner when it was released a few months ago, and it was a disaster. It’s basically a gel liner in a pen form, however, the actual gel product was already dried out within the packaging. When I tried to apply it to my eyelid, it just clumped and fell off. It went everywhere! There were tiny black smudges all over my desk and carpet, and that was only while using the product for literally 30 seconds. It cannot give a sharp wing since the rubber applicator is too broad, and if you’re a contact wearer, good luck. The dry cream flaked into my eyes too, it was really one of the biggest disappointments, considering how much Benefit publicized the product. I even tried applying it over my L’Oreal liner to make it seem more matte, and it still flaked everywhere.

I’m pretty experienced when it comes to eyeliner, some may say I’m an expert due to the sheer effort I have put into it for so many years. I thought I might have got a defective product, but so many other ladies reported the same experience. So before you fork over the money for these over-hyped products, make sure you google it – or please ask me in the comment section! I would love to test things out for you and report my findings. I’m used to laboratory experiments with my science background, why not conduct some of my own?

Let me know how helpful you found this post and definitely look forward to more posts about my liquid liner technique. Next time, you’ll learn about shapes and angles that are suitable for your eyeshape. Speak to you soon, lovely!

Lots of love,

Nipa

Photo Sources:http://www.allure.com/beauty-products/makeup/2011/loreal-intense-felt-ti…

http://keepitkinky.net/2014/06/19/new-product-alert-review-benefits-they…