alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sophie’s Survival Tips: U of T Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

I have been friends with Sophie since the first day of our second year. The story of how we met is not entirely glamourous-we were both lost trying to find a bathroom before stats class! But I am so happy I was early to class, because I made one of my best friends at U of T that day. We suffered through stats together, and bonded over our love of karaoke and the peanut butter chocolate chip cookie from Second Cup (they’re so good!). U of T wouldn’t be the same without her, and I know that her stories and experiences are worth sharing, to help give advice on what life at U of T is like. 

Sophie Cho

Year: 3rd

College: University

Program: Cognitive Science, Criminology

First year students are given the opportunity to live in residence during their first year at U of T, and rank the seven colleges to hopefully get into their first choice college. What was it that initially drew you to University College?

When I was first applying, I felt overwhelmed by the college system (which I hadn’t even known existed until I was asked to rank them on OUAC!) and bumbled around online to find out more information about each of them. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find many first-hand accounts, and the ones I found contained a lot of conflicting information. While I wish I could say I chose UC through weeks of careful deliberation and research, I ended up ranking it number one because it was 1) in the middle of campus and 2) the building was beautiful. In the end, it ended up being a fantastic choice because of those reasons and more!

The colleges have very different buildings, ranging from old buildings like something out of Harry Potter, to modern buildings with an urban feel. What was it like living in UC?

UC is closer to Hogwarts than the Enterprise, that’s for sure! I lived in the Sir Daniel Wilson residence—or Sir Dan’s, as it’s more commonly called—and it’s one of the two older residences of the three offered (the most modern one being Morrison Hall—they’re the only ones that have AC, but we don’t like to talk about that). The great thing about UC is that all three residence options offer single rooms, so if you choose UC as your college, you have a high chance of having a private room. You do have to share a bathroom with your neighbours, but they’re cleaned on a regular basis.

And while every student in every residence at every college complains about the quality of their food, I find myself looking fondly back on the variety of both healthy and indulgent options we had at our dining hall, or Fung. While you’re free to get take-out to eat in your own room, you have the option of eating in the very Hogwarts-Great-Hall-like area and seeking out your friends between classes. Additionally, both Sir Dan’s and Morrison are directly connected to Fung, meaning that you don’t have to go outside during winter. Whitney, the third residence of UC, however, is only a short walk away!

Each college puts on an orientation week for incoming students at the start of the school year, and gives new students a chance to connect with people in their college. What were some of the activities from UC orientation week that you remember?

I participated in the shorter UC orientation called Thrive. It runs for two days, is more focused on the practicals, and best of all, it’s free! While any orientation is guaranteed to be awkward at first, I’m glad I chose Thrive rather than opting out of orientation entirely. Within the two days, we did a tour of campus in small groups, participated in a mock lecture, and were able to meet other students who were in that same boat of being in an unfamiliar environment with unfamiliar people.

What I remember most vividly is my first meeting with friends with whom I am still close today! That, and the massive crowds of frosh marching down St. George street and chanting loudly enough to shake the food trucks in front of Sidney Smith Hall.

Starting university is a big transition from the smaller high school environments we are used to. Can you recall something you were anxious about entering your first year? What would you tell your first year self now?

I was definitely anxious about making friends because, like you said, university—especially UofT—operates on a much larger scale than just a single building. I was leaving behind those I’d known for years and moving to a new province, and on top of that, living on my own for the first time. Surrounded by people in the middle of campus, I wasn’t worried about feeling alone; what I feared was being lonely for the entirety of undergrad! Thankfully, I made some great friends during orientation, and outside of the residence, most people seemed just as eager as I was to have somebody to sit with in lecture.

I’d tell my first-year self that she’s not alone in feeling lonely on campus, and to not be afraid to approach somebody sitting alone on the first day of lectures. I’d also tell her that amazing friends can be made in the most unlikely of places, such as on the way to a bathroom before stats class! 

One of the most attended UC events of the year is the winter Fireball dance, which happens in February. Can you describe what Fireball is like? Why should other students go this year?

Two words: chocolate fountain. In all seriousness, Fireball is a formal (but fun!) night where you can get dressed up, grab a bunch of snacks, and wander around an amazingly decorated UC where everyone is having a great time. Each Fireball has a specific theme (for example, this year’s theme is called ‘A Cliché to Remember’) and the organizers always put a ton of effort into designing the rooms, foods, and costumes to fit with it.

You can dance, listen to a live band, or just explore the various nooks and crannies of UC! In between the stress of school work and other responsibilities, it’s an opportunity to just forget about everything for one memorable night. Just remember to bring a warm coat to wear while waiting in line beforehand, and comfortable shoes to change into afterwards!

You recently got involved in a mentorship program through UC. Can you talk a bit about what the purpose of the program is, and how it has been helpful to you?

Sure! The purpose of the UC Career Mentorship Program is to connect current UC students with UC alumni who are working in an area that matches with the student’s academic or career pursuits. You’re required to have a minimum of three one-on-one meetings with your mentor during the school year, and you also have the option of booking an appointment with a UC Career Educator any time in the year to discuss post-grad plans. 

I only found out about it this year, and I’ve really enjoyed it so far. My mentor is amazing, and it’s helpful to talk to someone who has been through the whole UofT experience and has ended up working in an area you may be interested in going into in the future. I can ask my mentor about things like which courses she found most interesting, what she studied post-grad, what she wishes she’d known earlier, what her work environment is like, etc. Whether you find yourself uncertain about where you want to head in the future, or whether you want a more detailed first-hand account of what a certain career is like, I totally recommend that you take advantage of this program.

As we know, life at U of T is incredibly stressful, especially around exam season. Do you have any tricks or techniques that help you keep on top of your workload?

Make a to-do list. The moment I get my syllabus for any class, I write out the whole schedule for readings, assignments, and exams, and cross things off as I go. It helps in keeping organized and not forgetting due dates, and you can’t help but get a little dopamine boost every time you cross something off!

Take breaks! Especially during exam season, it’s easy to burn yourself out and to end up not wanting to do anything for a month (or twelve). After a certain amount of time studying, take a break and do something you enjoy, like playing a game or chatting with friends. I’ve found that the Pomodoro technique can be very helpful in mitigating mental burnout and maximizing productivity.

The U of T experience is more than just late nights at Gerstein and Robarts. What has been one of your favorite memories from U of T so far?

One of my favourite memories is when I went to a drop-in fitness class for the first time! Zumba was quite an experience, especially because I couldn’t stop laughing at how inflexible I was. Any of the drop-in classes are fantastic, and they’re all the more fun if you can wrangle some friends together to go with you. Not to mention these classes are already included in our tuition!

If you could offer one piece of advice to students currently at U of T, what would you say?

I know it sounds cheesy, but we aren’t defined by a mark or a number. I realize that everyone at UofT is fiercely concerned about their performance, and that many of us need to keep up a certain GPA because of scholarships or grad school prospects, but just remember to take it easy once in a while and go have fun or relax. Go to Snakes & Lattes and play a board game or two, or just stay at home and read a good book! Your mental, emotional, and physical health are much more important than your academic performance in the long run.

Tali Main

U Toronto

Tali is a second year psychology student at University of Toronto. She enjoys singing, reading cheesy teen romance novels, and cooking/eating delicious food!