Life > Academics

September: How to Handle Start of School Scaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by: Tanmaya Ramprasad

Whether you’re a bright-eyed freshman or a seasoned senior, the beginning of the college school year brings feelings of excitement, adjustment, and, unfortunately, anxiety. While some of us may be mourning the end of summer, with its carefree heat and long, sunny days, others are buzzing with anticipation, both positive and negative. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed, what, with the numerous books that need to be bought for each class, syllabus week and its seemingly endless amount of due dates, and the stress of just finding your classroom and getting there on time. But, beyond the to-do lists and back-to-school shopping that needs to be done, we can take comfort in the fact that everyone is feeling a sense of unease right now, whether you’re a sophomore coming off of your first year of college being virtual or a junior who just wants to gain a sense of normalcy for your last two years. 

We all feel a bit off…the past year and a half have been a source of chaos, uncertainty, and stress in our lives. Going back to school, we all want an easy transition, not only academically but also in our social lives. But none of us really know what to expect. 

If you’re a freshman, your first day of school may be daunting. As the spirited fun of Frosh Week comes to a close, the anxiety sets in. Will you make friends in class or at least find a study buddy to ease the stress of midterm season? Will you like your major or decide to switch at the end of the year? How will you adjust to your first year living alone, away from home? There is so much uncertainty as you take these first steps of independence, along with dealing with feelings of homesickness, insecurity, and fear. Faced with the realities of being uprooted from the comforts of high school to the uncertainties of college, first years may be feeling anxious, unsure of their surroundings, but also themselves. 

While you seniors may know campus like the back of your hand, there’s still so much to get done before graduation. As you’re applying for internships or jobs, grad school, or just figuring out what you’re going to do once you leave the comfort of university life, you still have to worry about maintaining or improving your GPA during your final year while also juggling the stresses of applications and normal schoolwork. So, on top of managing your course loads, studying for exams, and writing lengthy research papers, you still need to get your life together. Adulthood is coming, and not all of us are ready for it. 

Remember, college doesn’t last forever. For some of us, it’ll be our last years of formal education. While each of us has our own set of worries, responsibilities, and anxieties, I think we can all take some comfort in the solidarity of it all. Every single one of us is anxious about something new that September will bring. Emerging from the pandemic, we want to see our lives unpause and continue to play undisturbed. We crave normalcy and opportunities to make up for our lost time. So instead of worrying about what the new school year may bring, let’s all take a collective deep breathe and put one foot in front of the other. September may be scary, but everything will fall into place once we take that daunting first step. We will adjust to our new routines and schedules. We will find our classrooms and set goals that lead to success. We will find our groove and make it our own. So, let’s embrace this period of change and create positive mental spaces in our minds to support us in the coming year. Let’s remember to be kind to ourselves, to take off all of the unnecessary pressure from our shoulders, and to give ourselves a break. Look at how far you have come and be proud. It’s okay to be afraid, but don’t let that fear stand in the way of your chasing your dreams. September doesn’t scare us! Nothing stands between us and what we want. So, go ahead. Take a deep breath and manifest your dreams. And don’t let those September scaries get you down.

Sarah Cassidy

U Toronto '22

University of Toronto Classics & Political Science