Rotman Commerce Women in Business President, Ksenija Stupar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Sitting down at Robarts and enjoying a non-fat vanilla latte is somewhat of a personal feat for Ksenija Stupar. Between her school work, her sorority, and her role as president of Rotman Commerce Women in Business, it is easy to understand why the graduating entrepreneur is more than happy to take a moment to relax, even if it is on the second floor of the library.

On any given morning Ksenija is swamped with at least thirty emails and spends the day responding to said emails as well as balancing constant communication with her team, attending class and meetings for her sorority, planning out the rest of her week and taking what little time she has to spare and focusing it towards her studies. “I honestly don’t know how I do it!” she jokes, but despite her inner uncertainty, Ksenija appears poised and ready to conquer anything.

If one was to try and spot Ksenija in a crowd four years ago they could do so on Friday nights, cheerleading for the Varsity Blues. However, sitting across the table, it is clear the early business mogul has grown-up, trading in her pompoms for a Blackberry and messenger bag. Although it seemed as though she was as involved as ever back in the day, Ksenija reveals she struggled to find her place on campus. “I wasn’t really a part of anything back then because I was a commuter; it made it hard to find where I belonged.” Making the decision to join a sorority in her second year, Ksenija finally found a place where, with the support of her ‘sisters’, she could strive both scholastically and personally. “TriDelt has been so important to me throughout the years. It has given me a support system on campus and has provided me with opportunities to be a leader.”  In fact, it is through the women’s fraternity, Delta Delta Delta, that Ksenija became involved with Rotman’s Women in Business.

After being encouraged by another member in TriDelta to take an interest in the club, Ksenija soon after fell in love with the powerful mission statement and dove head-first into her future. “It really is so inspirational to see all these incredible women striving in a world that has for so long, been dominated by men,” the commerce student gushes. Promoting initiatives and instilling early confidence in young women, RCWIB continues to change the future of the corporate game, and Ksenija is more than happy to be along for the ride. Her latest endeavor has been gearing up for the “Women’s Leadership Symposium” taking place March 23rd, a full day conference featuring over sixty speakers, including two key-notes, Q&A panels, and workshops. “It has been draining, but completely worth it” Ksenija says about the impending event. This year’s theme for the annual function, “Leave Your Mark”, is aimed at motivating its attendees to go beyond their comfort-zone and to contribute to their local and global communities. “It is so important for women who are in this field, and in general, to have confidence and stand up for themselves and their work. Especially in the cutthroat world of business, people aren’t going to give you recognition unless you ask for it. Men don’t have a problem showing what good work they did, women need to take that step.” However, the future entrepreneur clarifies that it is not a war between the sexes but rather a point of showing initiative in order to have a harmonious work atmosphere.

As Ksenija prepares to graduate, her future career and life-goals are at the forefront of her mind, wishing to attend graduate school in Europe come fall. “My dream in ten years is to be well into the process of owning my own event planning company,” she reveals. However, Ksenija makes it absolutely clear that all this would not be possible without her parents. “They gave up everything for my brother and I,” she says, completely humbled, “I have learnt the importance of hard-work, kindness and consideration because of them.” And it is evident they have taught her well: emulating the perfect combination of conviction and poise, Ksenija Stupar is sure to be the future of women in business.

For more information concerning the Women’s Leadership Symposium: www.rcwib.students.rotmancommerce.utoronto.ca

For tickets (early bird prices until February 18th):
www.rcwib2012.eventbrite.com 

Photo credit to Catherine Young, C-Young Photography: 
https://www.facebook.com/pages/C-Young-Photography/102394650128 

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.