Rotman Commerce Students’ Association President Sonia Li

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Beyond UofT’s strong academic standings, various reputable programs, and diverse community, there lies a greater part that adds to UofT’s reputation. The student life here is simply amazing. But hundreds of extracurricular activities and groups’ operations wouldn’t run smoothly without the help and guidance of some of the most outgoing and dedicated students here on campus.  Sonia Li is one of those students.

President of the Rotman Commerce Students’ Association (RCSA), Member of the Jeux du Commerce Central Team, and First-Year Learning Community Peer Mentor, there is no denying that Sonia has immersed herself in UofT’s student life in more ways than one. Motivated and passionate about her community and peers, Sonia has “always believed that student life is a huge part of a student’s overall university experience.” However, taking roles for several respected student groups requires a high degree of commitment and passion. Without any doubt, Sonia exemplifies the characteristics of a natural leader.  She is passionate about her work, dedicated to her peers, and enthusiastic to make a difference.

“As President of RCSA, the course union and governing student organization for all 2,000+ students in the undergraduate commerce program at UTSG, my duties include administering a 70+ people organization which runs 25+ events and multiple ongoing initiatives. I concern myself with the ways in which RCSA can create and/or connect students with opportunities that meet their needs,” Sonia says. Running RCSA takes more than time and commitment, it takes a strong individual who is able to bring the team together and willing to go beyond expectations.

The position as President of RCSA is demanding but rewarding. According to Sonia, “My involvement with RCSA has given me the opportunity to make an impact in the community of students around me. I wanted to contribute my abilities to improve the experience of every student in the commerce program – be it through the enhancement of classroom learning, the development of professional networks, and building a strong sense of community amongst students in the commerce program.” Sonia’s goals for RCSA are simple but powerful. “My hope is that the RCSA will continue to deliver services and offer initiatives that not only meets the needs of, but ultimately benefits undergraduate commerce students,” she states candidly. In addition, she hopes more people will become involved with RCSA.“I encourage all motivated students with a willingness to contribute to the commerce community to get involved with RCSA. Not only do students gain a great deal of experience and skill development opportunities, they will also have a chance to realize change in the environment around them.”

Though as serious as she may seem, Sonia has a great sense of humour. In ten years, she hopes to find herself working in Toronto’s financial district but jokingly adds, “If I win the lottery, retired.”

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.