Rainy Days and What To Do About Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

So last week, it was pouring in the city! We had rain everyday and I don’t know about you, but it definitely made getting to class a lot worse, especially those 9 am ones.

Based on my experiences, I thought I’d give you some tips on how to deal with bad weather:

1. Rain boots– Downtown Toronto can be very wet, especially when you’re walking down the street with cars driving right beside the sidewalk. I’ve had a few cases where cars drove into puddles, nearly soaking me. Rain boots do come in handy in these situations and they come in great styles and colours now. They are also good for walking around campus. If you’re late for class and crossing the huge lawn in front of University College will get you in the room on time, why not do it with rain boots? Don’t let the wet grass keep you from getting to class on time and in style.
  2. Hot tea or coffee – Rainy days usually mean more wind, less sunshine and colder temperatures. When rain drops hit your hands, they can feel very cold. A hot drink will help keep you warm when you’re walking around that monstrous campus of ours.
  3. Rain jacket – Umbrellas are nice, but sometimes they are not enough to keep you dry. When it is windy, umbrellas can bend or break easily and then you’re out of luck for staying dry. Rain jackets might prove to be more useful in stormy situations and since sidewalks are narrow and packed with people in Toronto, you can better manoeuvre through people when you aren’t holding an umbrella and trying to battle for air space.
  4. Libraries – there are so many of them at UofT. Why not explore them on rainy days? You might not want to run around outside, so libraries are great for spending time inside. They are spacious, great for quiet time or great for conversing with friends in some areas. Most libraries are well lit and have many plugs for your laptops. Try going into obscure hallways and doors to have a better chance of finding a plug and a table and don’t be afraid of trying different floors to find that perfect area for you to study or that room for hanging out with friends. Many of the libraries like Robarts and Gerstein have mini cafeterias so you really can spend a day there when the weather is bad.
  5. Retail therapy – this last tip is pushing it, but who doesn’t love shopping? Since it’s rainy outside, you are justified to stay indoors, and shopping malls are perfect for that. Plus, you don’t have to see the dark clouds outside inside the mall.

Remember, don’t let the dreary weather dampen your spirits!

Harriet is a fourth year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Human Biology with double minors in East Asian Studies and Linguistics. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is extremely excited to have started the University of Toronto branch. Her favourite activities include travelling, eating good food and of course shopping.