This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Eden Prosser

How many times can you recall saying (or even thinking) the phrase, “I need to stop procrastinating“? To describe this inner monologue as ‘frustrating’ is an understatement. However, it is necessary to realize that putting off a task does not make you a lazy or incapable student, employee, or person! In fact, the manifestation of procrastination can be explained by science and biology. Hence, know that you are not alone when you procrastinate: the neuropsychology behind procrastination is universal!

The biology

“Procrastination” is a phenomenon that is caused by the internal fight between two components of the brain. When an individual is presented with an unpleasant activity, neural regions known as the “limbic system” and the “prefrontal cortex” engage in a battle of sorts. The limbic system—an unconscious compartment of the brain, responsible for controlling behavioural and emotional responses—includes the well-documented “pleasure centre.” On the other hand, the prefrontal cortex plays a pivotal tole in monitoring and initiating cognitive control, and influences abilities such as attention and cognitive flexibility.

Researchers have found that, in this “battle,” the limbic system often wins—which explains why we procrastinate! Notably, this part of our brain is reported to be one of the oldest; it is often dominant, and is always neurally active. Furthermore, the limbic system guides individuals towards instantaneous mood repair, and works towards both feeding and satiating the pleasure system. Thus, when you get assigned an unappealing task, because your limbic system strives to achieve an instantaneous pleasure response, it dominates over the prefrontal cortex and allows you to put off the unpleasant task in favour of doing something more appealing.

In order to stop procrastinating, the prefrontal cortex must take over. Unlike the limbic system, the prefrontal cortex is much more recently evolved, and is thus one of the weaker components of the brain. Still, scientists have labeled it “crucial” for the “humanization” of humans. In brevity, this area makes us humans the rational beings we are, keeping us from being driven singularly by impulse and stimulus (as most other animals tend to be). So, when you decide that it is high time to stop procrastinating, the prefrontal cortex is at play. This area of the brain is the conscious mind, making decisions for you via repeated cost-and-benefit analysis.

Ways to overcome procrastination

Now that you know the brain’s role in procrastination, it would be very kind to your future self to help your prefrontal cortex win this fight!

1. Prioritize the worst task first

Finishing the worst task first will give you incentive to completely overcome procrastination. After all, the brain is ultimately fighting to keep from completing this very task, since it is the most aversive. Pushing through the worst task will thus eliminate the strongest interference signals from your limbic system, making it easier to overcome procrastination.

2. Schedule

Scheduling time to complete each task—and allocating a certain block of time to do a certain task—will help you remain organized, give yourself a deadline, and thus keep you accountable, making it easier to get things done.

3. study at a Public Library

For many people, public pressure is a huge factor in getting a task done. If you work in a library, you are more likely to be surrounded by focused people who are all, like you, working. For human beings, the need to conforming to one’s environment is very strong; thus being surrounded by other studying individuals will make you innately want to “fit in” and study, too.

4. Reward yourself

After completing a task, if you reward yourself, it will incentivize your rationality—and you can positively condition your brain into doing work! For instance, after completing the notes for one lecture, you can reward yourself by watching a 10-minute YouTube video (but nothing more!). This will teach your brain that, for each task completed, a reward can be expected, adding incentive for completing each task.

5. Clean your environment

For myself and many others, if I am studying or doing work, I instantly reach for my phone—which, of course, increases my procrastination! To counteract this, design a workspace where you can minimize your distractions. Adding “micro-costs,” or making it more of an effort to actually procrastinate, will help with distractions too. For instance, you can put phone in a different room, so that, in order to use social media or text someone, you have to physically remove yourself form your workspace and retrieve it. I don’t know about you, but to me, that seems more taxing than just finishing my work!

6. Assess the degree of procratination

At the end of the day, we all procrastinate. However, you should be self-aware of your degree of procrastination! Knowing the biological means as to why we procrastinate should make it easier on you. It is a universal phenomenon, so do not beat yourself up for watching that Netflix episode or hanging out with your friends instead of working on your paper. However, if you notice that you are a chronic procrastinator (and find it extremely difficult to let that part of you prefrontal cortex win), then there may be some deeper way to help, whether that is trying any of these aforementioned tips or introspecting to understand the emotional reasons behind your procrastination.

At the end of the day, though, giving yourself a break once in a while is completely normal (and much needed)—and now you know that it is rooted in our biology, too!

References

Spencer, A. (2022, May 25). Want to train your brain to stop procrastinating? read these tips from a neuroscientist. Real Simple. Retrieved November 7, 2022, from https://www.realsimple.com/work-life/life-strategies/time-management/procrastination

Monisha Date

U Toronto '23

Monisha Date is currently pursuing a specialist in Genetics and double minoring in Immunology and Physiology at UofT (St.George). She aspires to work in the medical field in the future. She is a very extroverted and vocal person and thus she developed a keen interest in writing. Monisha loves to add her own voice to her pieces and hopes her writing can spark some conversation and inspiration for others. She strives for writing pieces that not only are factual but leave the reader satisfied and thinking! Along with writing, she has a passion for dancing, fashion, cooking, and look for new food spots in Toronto. So if you want some recommendations for places to eat, she is your go-to girl!