New Year Resolutions: Is It Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Every year, people around the globe make promises to themselves that the new year will be their year, a time to make much needed changes in their lives. And yet, only hours after the ball drops in Time Square, I attempt my resolutions and find myself asking, “I have to do this all year?”  Even though resolutions are challenging, they are not impossible. Following a few simple steps can help ensure that 2015 will be the year where you actually keep your resolution.

First off, it’s important to look the resolution itself. In 2014, some of the top resolutions included losing weight, falling in love, and being happy. All three resolutions are extremely vague. If you pledge to lose weight, you must be specific about how much weight you want to lose, when you want to lose it by, and how you will lose it. Also, you need to depict your eating habits, and find a way to alter the foods you eat in order to have a healthier diet.

For falling in love, you must take proper steps to meeting your significant other, such as joining more clubs in school, or maybe a dating website. Even then, you may not find the love of your life in 2015, and that’s ok. It’s important not to rush certain stages of your life just because you’re at a certain age or you’re tired of being single. With the resolution of being happy, this varies for different people. You must ask yourself: what does your happiness entail? Does it mean finally going after your dream job, or that you end up graduating university? It’s important to be specific with your resolutions before you begin to tackle them.

Second, make sure you know why you want to achieve this resolution. Are you just saying you want to lose weight because you’re trying to please others, or because you want to have a healthier lifestyle? Recognize why you want to be happy, and how happiness will change your life. No matter what your resolution is, it’s important that you make it is not for the sake of others, but for yourself. Make sure this is something you truly want before committing to it.

And lastly, if you have a misstep once in a while, do not let that mistake become your fatal flaw and call it a failed resolution. It’s been a month since you made the resolution but you ate a cookie – so what? It’s not the end of the world. Everyone makes mistakes – just don’t give up on your resolution because of one. 

This year, my resolution is to stop thinking negatively. I have a horrible tendency to take any situation and put a negative spin on it, automatically rushing to the worse case scenario. This resolution is tricky because it has a lot to do with my thoughts. Sometimes I think negatively without even realizing it, so it’s important for me to try and catch myself before my thoughts go out of control. Every time I find myself looking at the glass half empty, I remind myself of the good things in life, such as my family and friends, and try to look at the situation in a different light.

Although it’s only February, I have already had many days where I was playing the victim, but I look back at these days to reevaluate the situations. Even though I did break my resolution from time to time, I am sticking with it, and I have noticed that which each day that goes by, I become a little more positive. Change doesn’t happen overnight, and it’s important to recognize mistakes, but not categorize them as failures.

Resolutions are a great way to make a promise to yourself that you will change something in your life for the better. Though many people only make resolutions because they feel as if it’s a necessity to have an answer to the question, “What’s your resolution?”, make your resolution because you want to take that next step to happiness.

If you are serious enough, and are willing to make a commitment, resolutions are a great way to usher in the new year.

Photo Sources:

http://i0.wp.com/www.withlove-rachel.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/bran…

https://31.media.tumblr.com/f5d2ef8e7378b8b6ceda14b7bacaf80d/tumblr_inli…

http://www.bluetomatocoaching.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/the_happi…

Katerina Szylo is from Rochester, New York and studies English at the University of Toronto. Her dream is to one day be a writer on Saturday Night Live.