Life > Experiences

Navigating Long-Haul Flights This Winter Break

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Trinity Roche

Winter break is the perfect opportunity for relaxation, exploration, and creating lasting memories. For some people, that means packing their bags and getting on a flight back home or to a holiday destination. For people who plan on taking long flights, preparing ahead of time is extremely important, even if you’re a long-haul flight veteran! Here’s a guide to surviving your upcoming travels!

Arriving at the Airport

To reduce stress, it’s important to know which terminal you’re going to be checking in at. This might seem small but before you book your Uber or taxi, make sure you put in the right terminal. You don’t want to be struggling to look for your check-in counter with all of your luggage!

Okay, I know this is basic, but please do yourself a favor and try to get to the airport at least 2-3 hours before your flight. I definitely learned this the hard way. The first time I flew back home, my parents told me to leave my place 4 hours before my flight, and I very naively thought they were just being extra cautious. I learned very quickly that I should have taken their advice. Everything that could go wrong went wrong and I was in tears at the airport. I left later than I wanted to, my Uber got lost, and when I got to the airport, I could not find my check-in counter. I tried using the check-in kiosks, but they didn’t work. I learned that my bags were too heavy, so I had to pay for excess baggage! The line at security was incredibly long! I was worried I was going to miss my flight! Luckily, my flight got delayed by an hour and I had a few minutes to catch my breath. By the end of it, I was in tears, and ever since this incident, I have been at the airport at least 2 hours before my flight, whether it’s international or domestic. Learn from my mistake and save yourself the stress. Please get to the airport early! 

Snacks, Hydration, and Food

Personally, I would recommend always carrying some kind of snacks and drinks with you. Even though most long-haul flights offer meals, sometimes you don’t really like the options that the flight is offering, the flight does not offer meals throughout the entire flight, or you have dietary restrictions. In any case, it’s always a good idea to carry some food with you just in case! 

Sometimes you can actually check the in-flight menu prior to your departure. Having a look at the menu for a few days can help you plan if you need to take a snack or meal with you. If you have allergies or dietary requirements, you can let your airlines know before your flight and they can arrange a safe meal for you.

Long flights can really mess up your eating schedule. On more than one occasion, I have eaten way too much, way too many times, and it made my travel really uncomfortable. Don’t feel forced to eat during the flight’s meal times; if you’re carrying a snack, you won’t go hungry!

Staying hydrated on flights is very important. The atmosphere on the plane is dry and because of how cold the flight is, sometimes you don’t realize how thirsty you are. You can always opt to bring a water bottle with you. You could also bring some sort of electrolyte solution for extra hydration. 

Carry-On Essentials: Stay Comfortable and Refreshed

Create a thoughtful carry-on bag to combat the toll that long flights can take on your skin and wellbeing. Include essentials such as lip balm, moisturizer, and mini face washes to combat dry cabin air. Travel-sized toiletries, such as shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner, can refresh you during layovers or upon arrival. Last summer, I bought Sephora’s travel-sized bottles which have been extremely helpful and have honestly been a life-saver for me in order to keep me feeling refreshed! The bag can also carry a mini toothpaste and a toothbrush.

Carrying an extra set of clothes is also incredibly useful. I normally carry at least one more set of clothes to change into. I also like carrying extra underwear just in case! You never know if your flight is going to get delayed or rescheduled and you’ll want a new pair of clothes to change into. This has come in handy for me many times. On my flight back home, I’m in the air for around 23 hours; granted, I take one layover in the middle. Sometimes I just desperately want to change into a new set of clothes to feel a little bit cleaner. Once, I actually spilled a drink on myself right before takeoff! You never know what’s going to happen, so it’s better to be safe than sorry! 

Passports and Important Documents

Keep your passport and essential travel documents, such as your student visa, close and secure. I store them in a designated folder in my backpack and try to keep my backpack under the seat in front of me, so that it’s close by. Have electronic copies of your documents on your phone to provide an extra layer of security. 

Uninterrupted Entertainment: Invest in Quality Headphones

A comfortable and noise-cancelling pair of headphones or earphones is a must for a pleasant long-haul flight. Whether for entertainment purposes or to block out noise, investing in quality headphones enhances the overall travel experience.

You should also consider downloading books, movies, TV shows, podcasts, or whatever else you need before takeoff. Carry a fully charged battery pack with you so that your devices remain fully charged and accessible throughout your travel. 

Elevating Your Comfort

Enhance your in-flight comfort with a sturdy neck pillow and, if you tend to get cold, consider bringing a cozy blanket and fluffy socks. For extra comfort, consider bringing a pillow. If you have a window seat, you can maximize comfort by resting your pillow against the window for support.

By following these guidelines, you can make the most of your winter break travel and ensure a relaxed and enjoyable journey to your destination.

Aadya Pokhriyal

U Toronto '25

Aadya Pokhriyal is a writer for Her Campus at the University of Toronto. She is a junior studying History focusing on Law and Human Geography. She is interested in politics and history and is passionate about learning more about the colonial institution worldwide.