Meet the Fearless Katie Vogan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

If you’re involved at U of T, it’s very likely that you’ve heard Katie Vogan’s name. As a former Cat’s Eye Co-Manager, last year’s Varsity Science Editor, founder of the Thrive Initiative and more, Katie’s accomplishments are diverse and outstanding.

Name: Katie Vogan

Program of Study: Physics and Comparative Literature

College: Victoria

Year of Study: Fourth year

Commuter/Residence: Commuter

What groups have you been involved in during your time at U of T and in what capacity?

In my first year, I joined the Cat’s Eye at Vic. I stayed on as a volunteer for the next three years, and was co-manager in my third year. This is actually my first year where I haven’t been involved directly in the space. It’s absolutely my favourite place on campus and I really genuinely love the people I’ve met there.

I’ve written for a few campus publications: I was the Science Editor last year at The Varsity, and I’ve been published in Acta Victoriana.

What have you been working on this year?

I’ve continued to volunteer and write. I try to remain engaged and active on campus, and go to as many events as I can. I have a piece coming out with Here magazine, which is a feminist magazine on campus. They started this year and I happened to catch one of their writing sessions, and I’ve been attending ever since. The people who work and write for Here have an amazing vibe, and I highly encourage people to check them out. 

This year, I founded the Thrive Initiative, which is an organization dedicated to improving the support systems for victims of sexual violence on campus. Separately, I was also involved in the campus elections.

Can you describe your work on Thrive? What inspired you to found it? How is it going so far?

I founded Thrive to confront a reality on campus: the feelings of isolation and desperation that survivors of sexual violence often experience while attending U of T. I was frustrated with the lack of systemic support, and the way our institution seems content and complacent in the current situation. There were patterns that really disturbed me in the stories told in my community. People would ask for help from a service and never hear back. Many of my friends described having to relive experiences as they attempted to explain to their professors or bosses why their attitudes had changed.  There’s also a ripple effect: people who can’t get help from U of T as an institution often turn to their social community – their friends and family. As you can imagine, the people who provide support to victims often experience trauma themselves. Violence is a poison. Campus can cease to be a safe space, and these experiences are often a very concrete barrier to accessing an education. That’s not okay.

In a lot of our work, Thrive has partnered with U of T Students Against Sexual Violence. Together, we try to spread awareness of this issue on campus, and elevate student voices into the discussion.  U of T Students Against Sexual Violence runs a petition that asks the University to engage with student voices and concerns while they formally investigate this issue through on their Advisory Committee to the President and Provost on Preventing and Responding to Sexual Violence  (you can find it here: https://www.change.org/p/president-of-the-university-of-toronto-take-action-against-sexual-violence-at-u-of-t).

Thrive is conducting a survey which aims to get a better sense of the reality at the University of Toronto: we are collecting feedback and student experiences anonymously so that we can try to find out what most needs to be improved and where the most pressing issues are. We are also trying to figure out how a student’s identity can play into their experiences here. Do racialized students have a different experience with campus services? Are international students finding it as easy as domestic students to access help? It’s important that we be aware that identity plays a role in the healing process.

You can find the survey on the website www.uoftthrive.wordpress.com/survey .So far, the response to our work has been encouraging. We’ve had a tremendous number of people respond to the survey, and a number of people have volunteered their time and energy to the cause.    

Can you describe your work with Brighter U of T?

I was a campaign manager, so I helped to organize the Brighter team and find candidates for the slate. Some people might think this is a tad unusual because I have been fairly vocal in the past about my dislike of our current electoral system: I actually think that the slate system is inequitable, and puts unnecessary barriers to participation in for students. I joined the team to educate myself to the reality of working in the slate system and to see if there was a way to fix it from inside. My boyfriend was eventually recruited separately to be the presidential candidate; working together on the team was a learning experience for both of us.

Feelings after the win?

I think we’re all pretty excited about the accomplishment. Personally, I feel very grateful. There were many, many students who gave part of their time to help the team, which really contributed to its success. It helped keep the workload down, and ensured that we caught mistakes and kept a positive attitude. There were people who were just amazing in terms of keeping spirits up: Cailyn Stewart, Zayneb Ragheai, and Christina Badiola have these fantastic, can-do attitudes. I’m so proud of them! It was a team effort and a team success.     

How do you think students can be engaged?

I find the easiest way to get engaged is to talk to people. As you make friends and join communities, you’ll become more aware of what issues preoccupy them.

Tips on managing such a busy schedule?

Take breaks! It sounds counter-intuitive, but sometimes you need to step-back from what you are working on, so that you can return with more energy and new ideas. There’s no reason to feel shame in keeping yourself healthy. Similarly, there’s so much value in asking for help! Build a support network, and listen to your friends.

What’s the best course you’ve taken at U of T?

That’s hard, but I’m going to say PHY324H1, with Ruxandra Serbanescu. She’s a great professor, really encouraging and very kind.

Favourite TV Shows?

Parks and Recreation! And Brooklyn 9-9.

Someone who’s inspired you?

Noor Baig, the former VP Equity of UTSU. She’s a close friend of mine. I admire her drive and her commitment to her principles.  She’s very funny and very compassionate.

Favourite hang-out place on campus?

The Cat’s Eye!

Favourite study space?

Hmmm. Probably Birge-Carnegie Library or EJ Pratt’s basement level.

What’s the dream? (for your future)

I’m still trying to figure that out. Maybe I’ll pull an Elle Woods and go into law, or maybe I’ll focus back in on physics – I’d like to study the interactions between climate and on-the-ground activities. My goal is to make a positive change in my community.

Linh Nguyen is a contributing writer and blogger at Her Campus, as well as a writer for the U of T student newspaper, The Varsity (thevarsity.ca/author/linhnguyen). She is a sophomore at the University of Toronto, studying Literature and Writing, and aspires to improve the world with words. Topics especially close to Linh's heart include body and sex positivity, love and relationships, and mental health. When she's not reading or writing, she can be found baking, singing musical soundtracks, or enjoying a nice tea latte.