Looking Forward to the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

For people, like me, who listen to Christmas carols in the middle of June and who begin their Christmas shopping sometime around the end of October, the idea that the holiday season is now over is quite sad. But it’s important to keep in mind that there are some things that we can all look forward to in the post-Christmas season.

1. The end of incessant Christmas carols- as much as I love carols, there’s only so much a person can take. Once November rolls around, every single store and restaurant you step into seems to be playing some combination of Bing Crosby, Michael Buble, Josh Groban, Mariah Carey and Lady Antebellum. And as much as I love them, after listening to Wham! sing Last Christmas for the 100th time, it can get annoying.
  2. Mid Season (and Returning) TV Shows- the New Year means that Community fans are one step closer to October 19th. For everyone else, January and February will not only see our favourite shows return from their holiday hiatuses, it will also mean new seasons of some of our favourite shows that premiere in the spring. Shows like Community, Cougar Town and Justified will all be welcomed back by their respective fans with open arms.
  3. Spring Collections- the New Year means that the new collections from most of the stores and designers are now readily available for purchase. Whether you’re lemming after the upcoming MAC Archie’s Girls collection or simply drooling over the designs on style.com, there’s something for everyone in the new collections.
  4. New Year’s Resolutions- a new year means new opportunities to finally make good on that promise to yourself to finally start taking pilates, join a new club, or start speaking up in class. Even if you didn’t succeed in accomplishing all your resolutions last year, you can take what you learned from your past mistakes and use it to finally succeed in seeing your resolutions come true this year.

And the list goes on. Nothing brings hope and new beginnings quite like the New Year and there is something uniquely exciting about that. It’s a great feeling and one that can’t be replicated at any other time of the year. And so as much as we love the feeling of Christmas and as much as it puts us an extra skip in our step when the cool air braces us as we walk along Bloor street in the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, remember that there’s just as much to look forward to in the new year as there is in the Christmas season.

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.
Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.