Little Miss Stressed Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Does anyone else out there remember those popular children’s books by Roger Hargreaves?  The “Little Miss (insert cute adjective here)” series?  I really wish he had created one specifically for university students in our time of need (hence the title, Little Miss Stressed Out).  Although I’m sure that yet another reminder of the academic pressure upon you is the least bit alleviating, well-deserved breaks and rewards can go a long way in refuelling your mental energy. So, without further ado, let me suggest some helpful, but possibly unconventional ways to de-stress during the month of March.   

Shop with friends

Yes, retail therapy exists. Confining yourself to campus even if it is to spend time with your friends will evoke that “I should be doing something productive” feeling. Plan some downtime at the Eaton Centre or take an hour between classes and head along the shopping district on Bloor Street. Take advantage of the great weather even if you and your fellow collegiettes are simply window shopping.  

Do something silly

Sing ‘Danny Boy’ on St. Paddy’s Day at a local pub with your friends as you do an Irish jig…of course, this only seems likely after a few pints of Guinness. Nevertheless, laughter is beneficial to the psyche and for one’s health. Be inventive with your activities. When I was recently watching “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon”, I absolutely could not stop laughing at one of his celebrity guest games: Password. This involves two people on separate teams who are both given the same password, and the goal of the game is to get your other teammate(s) to figure out what the word is based on your verbal hints before the other player’s teammates do. For instance, if the password is “Smoke”, you might say “fire”, and the clue goes back and forth between the teams until a person finally determines that your word is ‘smoke’. The password holders switch whenever the correct word is uttered.  This seems like a new twist on charades that I’m certain will bring about a lot of laughs.

Record your dreams (or at least have a journal)

To de-stress or unwind: this often involves much more than we think it does. We might have a pressing problem on our mind, continual thoughts about something important, or just want to write about the events of our daily lives. Start writing out your daily schpeel in a journal, and make a note of looking back monthly. Your dreams are also great for spelling out what you need. By recording your dreams, you stand to gain a better perspective on yourself and the world around you.  Here are two websites I often use to ‘decode those messages’: http://www.myjellybean.com/astrology/dream/dream.htm, http://www.dreammoods.com

Youtube, Youtube, YOUTUBE

Your destination for all things hilarious and, well, mind-boggling. Might I recommend one user in particular: CommunityChannel a.k.a. Natalie Tran. This internet sensation hails from Australia and I cannot help but adore her hilarious take on awkward situations. For those who are passionate about travelling, check out her Lonely Planet vlog that shows her travelling and talking about exotic destinations all over the globe: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/blog/natalietran/

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.